PDA

View Full Version : Spybot 1.5 is using alot of cpu usage when scanning

robinb9
2007-09-06, 17:02
I have 6 computers running xp sp2 & xp pro sp2 which I put the new spybot s&D 1.5 on 4 of them- the others are still running 1.4. I uninstalled 1.4 removed all the folders pertaining to 1.4 then did the regfix you described in another post.

I found that on all 6 computers when scanning the cpu usage is 100%. I never saw that with the 1.4 version.

I installed the new version on my Vista Home Premium computer and there i do not see the 100% spike.

Can you explain why the scan is so high?

Also in immune- do you really need the Host file checked?
this was not in the prior version and I would like to know why it is now in this version and what it actually does.

Robin

md usa spybot fan
2007-09-06, 19:30
I have 6 computers running xp sp2 & xp pro sp2 which I put the new spybot s&D 1.5 on 4 of them- the others are still running 1.4. I uninstalled 1.4 removed all the folders pertaining to 1.4 then did the regfix you described in another post.

I found that on all 6 computers when scanning the cpu usage is 100%. I never saw that with the 1.4 version.
I run Spybot on a Windows XP Home system. Spybot (since version 1.2) has always run at 100% CPU utilization during a majority of its scan on that system.

By buffering and limiting I/O, Spybot is efficiently using the fastest part of your system, the CPU. See:
Why is Spybot-S&D so fast?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/1.html

robinb9
2007-09-07, 01:02
strange, I ran the scans again on the computers that have 1.4 and do not see the cpu go up to 100% during the scan.

You did not answer me about the host file being checked and what that means when it is checked or not?

thanks
robin

md usa spybot fan
2007-09-07, 06:49
Also in immune- do you really need the Host file checked?
this was not in the prior version and I would like to know why it is now in this version and what it actually does.

Robin
There is a brief description of the HOSTS file in the following Sticky thread:
How Spybot-S&D protects against the installation of Spyware/Malware
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281
The use of the HOSTS file is optional.

In versions of Spybot prior to 1.5 the HOSTS file was only available through the Advanced mode Tools panel facility and was not part of the immunization facility.