PDA

View Full Version : Proper order to install updates?

gabespc
2007-09-06, 18:10
Is there a particular order in which the (manual/downloaded) updates should be installed?

I have created a batch file to silently install Spybot, then run each update in this sequence:

spybotsd_advcheck.exe
spybotsd_tools.exe
spybotsd_includes.exe
spybotsd_tcpip.exe

Even though I've got the latest versions of all the updates available on the website, a check for updates after install will always show there are additional items to be downloaded. Is this normal, or am I not doing something right?

Thanks!
-Gabe

PepiMK
2007-09-06, 18:20
You'll need advcheck, tools and tcpip only for 1.4 currently (as you can see, their dates are older than the 1.5 release).

Updates like foreign languages and help files, skins etc. are for download on various places on the website as zip files. Those would of course still show up later.

gabespc
2007-09-06, 18:34
Thanks for the reply! It'll be good to be able to remove those files and free up some space on my USB drives. Wait though... I assume I'll have to add them again once there are some post-1.5 updates, or do you think there will be?

In the same vein, please check out my post about the blank directory box when installing the includes file with 1.5.

You'll need advcheck, tools and tcpip only for 1.4 currently (as you can see, their dates are older than the 1.5 release).

Updates like foreign languages and help files, skins etc. are for download on various places on the website as zip files. Those would of course still show up later.

PepiMK
2007-09-06, 18:55
Sure there will be some later. this (http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=28) and this (http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=68) are two features that should soon appear as a tools.dll update, and advcheck.dll is updated every second month or so with new detection capabilities as well (already have something planed for the next update, but no entry for that available yet).

The TCP/IP plugin won't be updated soon I guess, but there might be other plugins, it all depends on the steps taken by new malware ;)

garyinri
2007-09-07, 08:42
If I install Spybot and use the integrated update function, the tcpipaddress.dll file is dated 12/24/2008 @ 6:23pm. I assume then that this is the proper version to be running with v1.5?

I noticed that if I download the standalone TCP/IP Plugin 1.0 (spybotsd_tcpip.exe), it sets that DLL back to 6/6/2007 @12:41pm. Based on what I've read above, the TCP/IP Plugin 1.0 standalone utility should only be used with v1.4, correct?

Thanks.