PDA

View Full Version : Cannot download - Socket Error #11004

twintub
2005-11-02, 01:38
I've installed XP-Home+SP2 on a new hard disk and Internet Explorer works fine over my dial-up account, but when trying to download updates I get the message "Socket Error #1104". however, if I FIRST connect to the internet with IE, SpyBot will subsequently download updates OK. I also get a similar problem with Ad-Aware. I've turned off Windows firewall but still no good.

I'm a new user of XP - can anyone help?:confused:

tashi
2005-11-02, 03:27
Hi there.

By your description I believe you mean Socket Error # 11004

Do you have a firewall installed? If so have you authorized SpybotSD.exe to access the internet?

twintub
2005-11-03, 00:54
Yes it is 11004, I was a wee bit tired when I posted that message!

I have already tried turning off the WinXP-home firewall (and rebooted) but still cannot download unless I launch internet explorer first.

Any other ideas? anyone? help!

LonnyRJones
2005-11-03, 02:10
Hello

It is SpyBot 1.4 you have correct ?
What do you have for this setting ?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/proxy.html

If its not checked, try this, check it then check for updates, then go back and uncheck that setting and check for updates again.
If it is already checked you need to be sure it is the correct setting via your proxie software or ISP software.

twintub
2005-11-03, 21:53
It is ver 1.4
I do NOT have the proxy setting enabled.
The firewall is disabled.
Any more tips?

LonnyRJones
2005-11-03, 23:46
Hi

Did you try enabling it then set to disable again as mentioned ?

bitman
2005-11-04, 00:13
I've installed XP-Home+SP2 on a new hard disk and Internet Explorer works fine over my dial-up account, but when trying to download updates I get the message "Socket Error #1104". however, if I FIRST connect to the internet with IE, SpyBot will subsequently download updates OK. I also get a similar problem with Ad-Aware. I've turned off Windows firewall but still no good.

I'm a new user of XP - can anyone help?:confused:
This is normal. Spybot S&D doesn't call the IE dial-up networking, it assumes a network connection already exists.

I confirmed this by simply disconnecting my laptop from my LAN, then attempting to Update Spybot, resulting in the same Socket Error # 11004 your received. Then I opened IE and clicked on a Google favorite which popped up my MSN dial-up account as expected.

Just open a network connection using IE and then update Spybot as you've been doing, that's exactly how it's always worked.

calvor
2005-11-08, 15:19
I have tried your sugestion and for me, it doesn't wors.

I've done it and I have again the same message "Socket error 11004"

Please, help me.

:confused:

Thank you.

twintub
2005-11-09, 00:43
Yes, I know that I CAN download if I connect to the internet with IE first, but I want to know why it won't connect by itself!

Before I upgraded to XP (a clean install) SpyBot always used to bring-up the 'dial-up' connection box without me having to launch IE first. I presume SpyBot is supposed to somehow 'hook into' Internet Explorer's dial-up settings (without launching it) but is failing to do so.

Although I can work around the problem like you suggest, it's a pain when you know it's not working properly! Damned Microsoft!

Surely someone must have an explanation !!!!!!!

twintub
2005-11-09, 00:46
Yes, I've already tried that - Still no good!

bitman
2005-11-09, 02:56
I don't know how Spybot S&D ever worked that way since it must have things such as a Proxy server specially configured within the program.

It doesn't use the Internet Explorer settings and probably for a good reason. If a piece of malware has taken control of Internet Explorer it could modify these settings and not allow Spybot or other anti-malware to obtain updates.

At least the way it works the malware must get control of the core networking of the OS to attain this.

twintub
2005-11-10, 01:23
I don't think any malware has hot in - This is a fresh install and had SP2 and anti-virus/spam/firewall installed from the outset.

Just a thought - I'm using a different external USB modem to what I was using before the upgrade. I wonder if the drivers for this are causing the problem?????

UWHusky
2006-06-15, 02:07
Ok, so I found the solution (that worked for me) from a forum out there, but it took some time before I stumbled across it. Here is my plagiarized solution cut and pasted from another forum (I don't even remember which one, since I had Googled this so much).

Remove Spybot from the list of 'programs' in your Norton Firewall. Start the update again 'Norton' will prompt to permit or block Spybot accessing the Internet. Permit 'Spybot' and VOILA, everything works. If you use any other firewall like 'Mcafee' do the same thing, remove 'Spybot' from the list of programs and it will work. Disabling the firewall only may not work.

Hope this works for you; I know I tried all the other solutions that I had seen on multiple forums (download from other mirrors, re-install, use alternate update methods), but this one works.

:bigthumb: