PDA

View Full Version : windows update problem

allcooll
2007-09-09, 20:45
I tested with Spybot 1.4 and 1.5.

After I install spybot, I'm no longer able to install updates from windows update.

Even uninstalling I cant install windows updates from the site anymore. I had to format and install windows again.

I really dont know why this happen. I changed many settings in spybot, immunized, remove immunize, etc, nothing worked.

I can download but cant install the updates.

Any idea?

windows xp sp2 english, IE6 and IE7 have the same result ( I reformatted many times ~~, and tested with vmware virtual disks too)

humberlad
2007-09-09, 21:51
Hi allcooll, Turn Teatimer off (Tools> Resident> Uncheck Resident TeaTimer box) and try to download your updates again. If it works you can then turn Teatimer back on and the problem might not return but if it does you know what the cause is. I had this problem and after following this course all has been ok since. Regards.

allcooll
2007-09-10, 00:07
Hi allcooll, Turn Teatimer off (Tools> Resident> Uncheck Resident TeaTimer box) and try to download your updates again. If it works you can then turn Teatimer back on and the problem might not return but if it does you know what the cause is. I had this problem and after following this course all has been ok since. Regards.

the settings I told before included tea timer and resident shield.

I still cant INSTALL updates. I can download but when it tries to install, I get an error from windows update.

thanks for answering :)

md usa spybot fan
2007-09-10, 00:50
... I get an error from windows update.
It certainly would be helpful if you posted that error.

Piratebiter
2007-09-10, 03:26
pretty much the same thing I have... I was about to uninstall to get my IE updated since I can't find an OFF switch on this thing. I tried to temporarily turn it off via tools/resident/uncheck 2 boxes as directed in the help notes... but When I reactivate Resident is simply finds my change and DELETES it... hmmm well maybe a peramnat uninstall will work!
Piratebiter

allcooll
2007-09-10, 13:00
It certainly would be helpful if you posted that error.

Its not a specific error.
Windows update says it cant install and tells me to "go find myself a solution in troubleshooter" :(

I'll take a screenshot. :P

allcooll
2007-09-22, 20:04
sorry Im late but here it is:
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/4948/myscreenfq9.jpg

on download history no "failed downloads" appear

md usa spybot fan
2007-09-22, 21:12
allcooll:

The only thing that comes to mind, although it was not described as "Failed" updates, is that some people lost the ability to do Windows updates after deleting startup entries using Spybot's "Advanced mode" "System Startup" facility.

Did you delete any system startup entries using Spybot's "Advanced mode" "System Startup" facility?

Specifically they would have looked like this in Spybot 1.4:

Located: System.ini, crypt32chain
command: crypt32.dll
file: crypt32.dll

Or this in Spybot 1.5:

Located: WinLogon, crypt32chain
size: 0
MD5: D41D8CD98F00B204E9800998ECF8427E
Warning: if the file is actually larger than 0 bytes,
the checksum could not be properly calculated!

allcooll
2007-09-23, 04:35
allcooll:

The only thing that comes to mind, although it was not described as "Failed" updates, is that some people lost the ability to do Windows updates after deleting startup entries using Spybot's "Advanced mode" "System Startup" facility.

Did you delete any system startup entries using Spybot's "Advanced mode" "System Startup" facility?

Specifically they would have looked like this in Spybot 1.4:

Located: System.ini, crypt32chain

Or this in Spybot 1.5:

Located: WinLogon, crypt32chain
size: 0
MD5: D41D8CD98F00B204E9800998ECF8427E
Warning: if the file is actually larger than 0 bytes,
the checksum could not be properly calculated!

I think you're right. I deleted all startup entries :D:

So, what I do? :sad:

md usa spybot fan
2007-09-23, 13:32
Normally if you were running Windows XP or an OS that had a system restore capability, I would say do a system restore to a restore point just prior to when you deleted the entries. However, since it has been quite a while since the problem occurred that even if you knew when the problem occurred and the restore point was still available using a restore point that old could cause as many problems as it resolves.

In the following thread, donsears (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=323) indicated that they received a script form Microsoft to restore the items to the registry:
Windows Update Broken
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=134

allcooll
2007-09-24, 00:17
Normally if you were running Windows XP or an OS that had a system restore capability, I would say do a system restore to a restore point just prior to when you deleted the entries. However, since it has been quite a while since the problem occurred that even if you knew when the problem occurred and the restore point was still available using a restore point that old could cause as many problems as it resolves.

In the following thread, donsears (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=323) indicated that they received a script form Microsoft to restore the items to the registry:
Windows Update Broken
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=134

Thanks. I searched for that but I couldnt find this thread.

Another thing: wheres the script? Its not on this thread :sad:

Libra
2007-09-24, 04:59
You may want to call Microsoft at 1-866-PCSAFETY and explain to them that you deleted those files and ask if they can e-mail you a script to put them back into the registry.
The call is free since it's got to do with Windows Updates.

Sincerely, Libra

allcooll
2007-09-24, 05:06
thanks but I dont live in US and I wont call microsoft for a simple script. :P