PDA

View Full Version : Problems with administrator settings

geopam
2007-09-09, 22:17
Greetings -

I have used Spybot S&D for years but always on an XP machine - no problems. Now I have a Vista laptop (ugh - I hate Vista:mad:) and I'm having problems!

I already have full administrator rights on the laptop as I am the only user.

When I installed S S&D I had no problems. The first time I ran updates and scanned and immunized I had no problems.

Now today it is telling me I don't have administrator rights to run immunizations.

I looked in HELP and it said to restart and right click on the S S&D program button and "run as administrator", however, when I tried that, there was NO "administrator" option shown.

When I came to the forum, I did a search and found the same advice - but I can't use the advice since there is no option to do it.

Any help someone can provide on how to get around this situation would be gratefully accepted!

pam :)

PepiMK
2007-09-10, 09:05
That's a thing called "elevation" (part of UAC) and is new to Vista. In general, it's a good concept once software developers learn to write software that doesn't always need admin rights ;)

Not sure, but I think the help entry is very similar to this FAQ entry (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/42.html)? Notice the small security shield next to it?

It always should be there on Vista if you're running with an admin user. Have you turned off UAC or something like that?

geopam
2007-09-10, 17:05
Hi and thanks for the reply!

I haven't turned anything off (that I know of - if I did it was accidental).

The problem is - when I right click on SS&D from the start menu, there is NO "run as administrator" showing up!

I rechecked my Vista settings and I'm definitely set up as administrator on the laptop - I don't know if that's supposed to transfer to SS&D or not but I have NO way of telling the program to run in administrative mode. UGH

Thanks for the reply but I think my main problem is still out there...

pam :)

p.s. I don't even know what UAC means! lol

goodfellow
2007-09-14, 18:16
I'm dealing with the exact same issue. If anybody found a solution to this problem please let me know.