PDA

View Full Version : Spybot 1.5 : some bugs /annoyances

philippe_FR22
2007-09-13, 12:12
:red:
Hi,
I'm using spybot since rel 1.2 and I find it very powerfull and very useful. But the last release that I installed a couple of hours seems to have some bugs and annoyances.

1) Installation
I unchecked both install SDHelper and TeaTimer but once Spybot installed, I found in tools resident that SDHelper was still checked. This is the first bug/annoyance

2) After upgrade during the first launch, I went to Immunize and I found that after checking (I decided not to immunize because of the annoyance with Outlook and html forms and list of URL in IE7 and so windows XP registry keys) one item (host file) was still checked as immunized. I never checked this one in IE setup. So this is the 2nd bug /annoyance

3) Starting Spybot is now very long compared to rel 1.4

4) Ergonomy, to my mind, is now too loud compared to spybot 1.4.

Best Regards and go on with this very powerfull tool

gato2006chile
2007-09-13, 23:09
You need to add the floppy scan when SD start

philippe_FR22
2007-09-14, 14:58
Sorry, could you repeat ? :funny:
Well, I cannot succeed in linking my post and your answer :spider:

Cosmo
2007-09-16, 21:50
3) Starting Spybot is now very long compared to rel 1.4
That is a very genteel formulation. If I start 1.5, it takes nearly 30 seconds, until the window with the progress bar opens at all; until this time the user does not have any hint, if he/she probably missed the program icon at all. And this delay is definitly not related to any malware. I quickly set up a fresh new system for testing with nothing more than xp and spybot; further more this machine is absolutely isolated (so no network connection at all)

kobas
2007-09-16, 23:45
Yes it takes an age to start V1.5 with me aswell:spider:

kobas
2007-09-17, 00:07
I think I've found another bug:-
When you have more than 1 user acount on windows and the other ones are limited accounts it want let you immunize (it says you have to be an administrater),it used to let you do this with V1.4 why not now?:spider:

PepiMK
2007-09-17, 09:56
@kobas: who says it does not do so now?

@kobas, Cosmo, philippe_FR22#3: how about the slightest hint at system configuration this happens in? As long as you prefer to just make generalized statements where it isn't reproducable on dozens of test systems, I can just answer the same generalized way: you're wrong :p:

@philippe_FR22#4: Spybot-S&D 1.5 doesn't use any more sounds than 1.4?

@philippe_FR22#1: might be an installation bug. Had you tested the betas, you might have reported this in time ;) It's here now (http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=77).

Cosmo
2007-09-17, 13:58
Sorry for missing this:
XP SP2, freshly installed on a testing machine (AMD 1 GHz, 256 MB RAM). The test system has been build from the very scratch, nothing there except XP and SSD, and as already mentioned no network connection at all, so malware free as can be.

If I click on the SSD-icon on the desktop, it takes between 20 to 30 seconds, until the progress bar window opens at all. Until that there is no hint at all, that I have started the program. This is also true, if I close SSD and restart after waiting about 5 to 10 seconds (to be sure, that all is closed correctly). Opening the task manager of windows before SSD I see, that after clicking the desktop icon the SSD-process gets started at once, consuming 100% CPU-power, until SSD-GUI opens.

I hope, I did mention all related info.

Cosmo
2007-09-18, 19:05
Perhaps the following addition to the above makes the problem even clearer:

On the same machine - but on strictly separated partitions - there is also Windows 98 SE and Windows ME installed, both with SSD 1.4. The conditions for a speedy start are much worse here: There are background tasks, e.g. AV-on-access-scanner, firewall, and some more utilities; and those 2 installations are 2 years old. But - obviously with the same hardware - SSD 1.4 takes less than 5 seconds, until the progress bar window gest shown and after 10 ... 15 seconds the GUI is ready for usage. (To remind you: After the same time I get with 1.5 not the slightest hint, that I had SSD started at all.)

PepiMK
2007-09-18, 20:22
I did just test it with a 1 GHz machine, no real problems. But I'll re-enable the benchmarking system I built in in a previous version to see where exactly it takes how long.

Yahoo Serious
2007-09-19, 13:08
My GUI startup also went from about 5 second to about 30 seconds (the TaskManager shows 100% CPU usage):
Windows XP SP 2, 1 user, P4, 1.8 GHz, 1GB, 2x80GB

commi
2007-09-19, 15:49
My GUI startup also went from about 5 second to about 30 seconds (the TaskManager shows 100% CPU usage):
Windows XP SP 2, 1 user, P4, 1.8 GHz, 1GB, 2x80GB
Same problem for me.

busxx
2007-09-19, 23:15
I have a old pent III @ 700 Mhz that takes minutes for SBSD's GUI to show up.:sad:

I have an old pent @ 200 Mhz that takes like 20 minutes to bring up SBSD's GUI.:sick:

swgiant
2007-09-20, 12:35
maybe, spybot 1.5 is coded on Intel v8 which totally has 8 cores, so they never realized such a problem. :oops: