PDA

View Full Version : Tools - System Internals

bobnrobin
2006-01-16, 19:24
Using v1.4, updated.
When visiting and checking Sys.Ints., Spybot dicovers many instances of "Wrong App Path", among others. Can someone please explan exactly what transpires if I ask it to fix these entries ? Is this a type of "Registry cleaner" ? Is it likely that I would experience any ill effects, i.e., will programs no longer function as usual ? System works well and "if it ain't broke....", but in the interest of keeping things "clean" I wish to know if the fix should be run.
Thank you very much for any words of wisdom. I've been using SpyBot S&D for several years now, and it's a Really Great program/tool. FWIW, this is a much nicer Forum than the "new" Net-Integration site - where I originally found the SpyBot Forums a few years ago....
Thanks
bobnrobin

md usa spybot fan
2006-01-16, 20:03
From the System internals > Help

System internals

The windows registry contains lots of information. It's consistency can be checked with good commercial programs like Symantec™ System Works. But there are some small things I miss with those programs. Here's what SpyBot-S&D searches for:

Missing help files – the registry contains information about the location of some help files. If this information points to incorrect directories, Spybot-S&D will inform you about and allow to fix.

Missing shared DLLs – the registry contains a list of dynamic link libraries, where they are located and how many programs use them. SpyBot-S&D checks if all locations are correct and allows to change them if not.

Application paths – some applications (mostly those registered to a file extension) are registered in the registry. If they are pointing to a program file no longer existing, Spybot-S&D can change their path or delete their entry.

Wrong Uninstall information – every program that has it's own uninstall routine stores some information about it in the registry. If this information is incorrect, Spybot-S&D will tell You about. For example, the uninstall program may have been located inside a temp directory (there are lots of programs that stupid!).

Broken Desktop Links – if one of the links on your desktop links to a file that no longer exists, Spybot-S&D will tell you and allow you to either point the link to another file or delete it.
Warning: Please be aware that changes to these items can corrupt your system! If you are not sure whether a setting is really a problem, You´d better leave it alone!
This warning especially applies if you use Microsoft Office™. This software suite has some registry entries pointing to wrong directories and some even pointing to non-existent help files. I've changed the first, but I wouldn't delete the other one, because they may well point to files that will be installed on that "Install on first use" basis.

bobnrobin
2006-01-18, 14:52
Thanks, md...SB fan.
I guess I should have said I'd read, many times, the Help file re the Sys. Ints. tools.... But, they just managed to scare me enough to Not use them. What I was hoping for was a "report" from someone who had used the tools and knew exactly what happened and if they were pleased with the results...
I appreciate your taking the time to answer, very much.
Thanks, again.

md usa spybot fan
2006-01-18, 15:24
What I was hoping for was a "report" from someone who had used the tools and knew exactly what happened and if they were pleased with the results...
Check out this thread at net-integration:
System Internals Test Results, Errors in many files
http://net-integration.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=27456

Within that thread see comments by Zenobia here:
http://net-integration.us/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=27456&view=findpost&p=129977

bobnrobin
2006-01-18, 16:50
YESSS!! Thank you, Thank you, SB fan. Went there, read all that, put that thread in Favorites.
Kind of funny, I'd asked about this in the MS Communities - no difinitive answer, went to the net-integration forum, couldn't get logged in, thought it was no longer "official", so ended up registering for This forum. Nice to know they are both active - if I can't get to one, can try the other...
Thank you so very much.
bobnrobin

md usa spybot fan
2006-01-18, 17:07
The net-integration forum url changed from:
http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?
To:
http://net-integration.us/forums/index.php

This has caused many people to lose contact with the site. The site still is a good reference source, however the links within posts still point to the old net-integration site which makes it difficult to research references at times.

jchambers
2006-11-23, 16:25
i to am looking to use this tool,but am worried that i'll "stroke the wrong key".i tried the page that md usa listed and it's not available-i think there forum page is down. i have removed some programs and there are dll files left that may or may not be used by other programs. well i don't know. maybe someone can shed some light. p.s. i am very happy with having spybot as one of my ,long time user. jchambers