PDA

View Full Version : Crashing symtom

pizzadudewa
2007-09-16, 00:59
Okay..

I use Spybot and it's the only thing that I feel gets rid of everthing....

So I recently picked up a computer to fix for a friend and I have an issue with Coolwwwebsearch.

I can delete ( or fix) every problem except this one. As soon as it's just about done fixing it the crahses. Even in safe mode.

Computer never crashes during scan...only when trying to remove this bot. There are 23 entries. And I removed all the other bots....but now all I have is Coolweb..and as soon as I try to fix it...BSOD.

Now this person has not gotten any of the 64 updates from microsoft since he got SP2. So I tried getting those installed and as soon as I start the process of getting the updates installed I get blue screen of death. I randomly picked a few to update and some loaded and some cause BSOD.

I also cannot access Microsoft firewall...says something is making it so I cannot access it...so it is obviously off. I ran CW shredder and it says it cannot find it...but I run spybot and it is there.

I also tried running Coolwebkiller and as soon as I do I get a pop-up saying it cannot find that program.

Does anyone know how I can get coolweb off this computer. I have never had this much difficulty. I know it is still on there because I get constant re-directs when browsing.

tashi
2007-09-16, 06:51
Hello. :)

As Zenobia posted here: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=17966 please see the forum procedure. ;)

"BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Our helpers will need to see a HiJackThis (HJT) log.

Cheers.

pizzadudewa
2007-09-16, 18:25
Well,

Now I get an email this morning from my internet provider saying they see a coumputer spamming and they shut down certain ports....okay funny how I had my friends computer yesterday trying to figure this out....anyway

Now I downloadeed HJT and the new spybot1.5. Since I can't be on the internet with the infected computer I just saved them to my flash drive to transport them.

Funny...when I tried transferring HJT to the desktop on the infected computer I get BSOD. So I booted it back up and ran it from the location on the flash drive. It installed on the c: drive and ran. Did a system scan and when it created the log....BSOD.

Then I reboot computer and run HJT and say to scan without the log.....ran fine until I tried copy the info on the screen and....BSOD.

Is someone aware of such a nasty bot? I mean the computer when I am running is nice....but I do anything to get rid of the infection and bammo shut down.

It does not interfere with any other programs except for browsing and is obviously spaming in the backgroud

pizzadudewa
2007-09-16, 19:03
Reformatted hard drive and fresh install of XP

But one thing I did notice....after reading your posts on what I should check before posting:oops:

Anyway...the speakers did not work but it showed it had current drivers. And I could not upgrade the drivers or install new ones at all.

Second...in the add/remove program list there was a program called something like video viewer codec...I made the assumption this was a dell driver but after reading the sticky's I see it was probably malware.

So tried with my XP CD to repair XP and it hangs at 9 min. Then a restart and as it is doing final stages on repair it has some sort of pop-up ( looks like a windows with the red x) stating something about secrurity but it's so quick I can't catch it. So now for a complete format and re-intall. I'll let you know what happens.

tashi
2007-09-27, 23:18
This topic has been moved to archives. :)

If you need the thread re-opened, please send me a private message (pm) and provide a link.

Applies only to the original poster, anyone else with similar problems please start your own topic.