PDA

View Full Version : Correct way to install on a family PC / plus a possible bug?

sweepdog
2007-09-16, 19:44
I am running SpyBot S&D 1.5.1.15 on WinXP Pro, with all the latest updates. I have an admin account and 2 limited users accounts (one for me and the the partner, one for our child).

When I installed SpyBot S&D 1.5.1.15 I said "for this user only" when logged on as the administrator - on the basis that I guess only the administrator would really have permission to scan all folders and remove any problems

The first comment is the possible bug.
I have gone round all the users to change the Resident (TeaTimer) settings. I get the message "You are missing administrator rights to perform this action. If you need to do this, please run this application elevated as an administrator" when I click on Resident, however I am able to click OK on the message and can enable/disable the TeaTimer option as a normal user. Is this right?

Is this the best way to install things and run especially for the limited account. Although the limited account would not have the right permission to install software, they would be able to accept registry key changes - e.g. this seems to happen when I log in as a different user, the value of DefaultUser changes. I guess it would be nice if there was some way of allowing certain limited users from not accepting these changes - is this possible?

sweepdog
2007-09-16, 21:07
Ignore comment about "for this user only" - I've trashed my machine to a previous install, and this question doesn't appear with this product :red:

I will post the other bits to new threads where they are more appropriate, since I've heard follow ups don't usually get read by the helpers