PDA

View Full Version : Configuration question

alcapone
2007-09-17, 13:54
I'm installing Spybot 1.5 and i'm a little confused.
Can i schedule a task for a limited account with /autoupdate /autoimmunize /autocheck /autofix /autoclose (possibly with /taskbarhide) options?
If i remember correctly spybot 1.4 couldn't perform updates without administrative rights.
Does Spybot 1.5 solve this "issue"?

what happens if i create a task in a limited account and set it to run as with the administrator account credencials ? Will the limited account get scanned or will the administrator account get scan instead?
(Another solution i was thinking on using was using autoupdate with a task runnig with an Administrator account)

Maybe i'm just confused here. Can someone help me understand this?

Thank you.

PS: i noticed that if i run a task with the administrator credencials and without /taskbarhide the spybot window will not appear on screen...

alcapone
2007-09-18, 23:29
Is there a way to see what files/folders Spybot is scanning?

Thank you.

PepiMK
2007-09-19, 11:14
Actually, that Spybot-S&D is not able to install updates under a limited account is a "feature", not a bug or issue. The detection files are inside the Program Files filder, and limited accounts just should not have write access there. Also, if limited accounts are able to overwrite them, malware would be able to disturb Spybot-S&D by deleting or overwriting them even if the user protects himself by working through a limited account.

When using the Windows task scheduler, you can set up the scheduled task to use any account you want. That doesn't affect what exactly gets scanned though, since Spybot-S&D is, except for the special case of the Internet Explorer cache, able to scan every account on the system if it has rights to access them. So a limited account might only scan itself (since it might not even be able to access the others), but an administrator account is able to scan all of them.

Version 1.5 by the way offers separate updates through SDUpdate.exe as well, should you want to create a separate task for updating (the updater doesn't allow to do anything but updating, so it's a bit more "secure").

Regarding the PS: yes, /taskbarhide is the switch to completely hide the application while it is running (the name is a bit confusing, it means hiding the task bar in addition to the main window ;) ).

alcapone
2007-09-20, 12:12
Thank you for your answer.

Soo what you are saying is that i should create a task for updating using an administrator account, and another task for "cleaning and immunizing" using the limited account? Or should i just use the administrator account credencials for running all of it in the limited accounts?

Regarding /taskbarhide shouldn't the application window appear when i run spybot with administrator credentials on a limited account without using that switch?