PDA

View Full Version : New and don't want to delete important files

j.b.lee
2007-09-18, 03:59
Spybot just informed me that I have three (3) malware problems: Wild Tangent shows 11 (eleven) and Microsoft has two (2) stating something has disabled my antivirus and firewall yet in Security Center both show that they are active and "On".

How do I correct this?

Here are the Microsoft codes listed in SpyBot:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
Center\AntivirusDisableNotify!=dword: 0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
Center\FirewallDisableNotify!=dword: 0

Thanks,

md usa spybot fan
2007-09-18, 06:16
For these detections:
Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify: Settings
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0
Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify: Settings
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify!=dword:0
Go into Start > Control Panel > Security Center > Resources (on the left hand side of the window – expand if necessary) > click "Change the way Security Center alerts me". This brings up an "Alert Setting" window.

There are three possible alerts:
Firewall
Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my firewall settings
Automatic Updates
Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my Automatic Updates settings
Virus Protection
Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my virus protection software settings
I think that you will find that the first and third alerts are turned off. With these alerts turned off you will not receive alerts from Windows Security Center if your Firewall or AntiVirus are truned off or are out of date.

Do you happen to run McAfee?

j.b.lee
2007-09-19, 01:29
opened up Security Center for firewall, automatic updates, and virus protection. How can this be so when SpyBot scan shows the opposite?

No, don't use McAfee. What should I do. Thanks!

md usa spybot fan
2007-09-19, 06:22
But two of your alerts are turned off. Please re-read my previous instructions and look at the status of the alerts.