PDA

View Full Version : Opera Cookies

drogo
2007-09-18, 07:25
I have just today installed the new version of Spybot and there are things about it which leave me less than enthusiastic, but no matter, the following is the problem:
After installation, I find the cookies server manager in my Opera browser loaded with 146 folders that can not be deleted in the normal fashion (i.e., on exit, or manually in series) with highly alarming names like wetteenbabes.com. Since selecting any of them and pressing the the 'edit' button reveals that cookies are blocked, one assumes that these were loaded by Spybot as part of a protective measure - does anyone know if this is correct?
I am glad that the bug that did not allow a full view of the 'registry change detected' box is fixed, but why is the program loading so slowly now?

drogo
2007-09-18, 16:25
As the 'Edit Post' icon is not visible, this is the only way that I can add to my post. What happened to the shredder in Spybot? That was a very handy tool...

spybotsandra
2007-09-18, 16:29
Hello,

1. That is the immunization feature of Spybot - Search & Destroy. The bad sites are blocked so that the baddies do not get in.

2. Spybot-S&D 1.5 does not support the Secure Shredder anymore.
There is a simple reason, the Secure Shredder is outdated
and so it is not really "secure" without any enhancements.
The problem is that we don't have the time for this little tool.
Our focus is Spybot-S&D. There are already good data erasing tools out there and so we won't working on the Secure Shredder anymore.

If you like, we would recommend another tool for deleting sensitive data. The tool "Eraser".

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/default.php
http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/download.php

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

drogo
2007-09-18, 19:05
Thank you, Sandra, I shall certainly follow your kind recommendations.

drogo
2007-09-19, 06:41
Installed Eraser - tried it over a period of several hours - uninstalled it. Needlessly elaborate and tiresome to use, Eraser is no substitute for Spybot shredder, and perhaps at some point we shall see it back.

PepiMK
2007-09-19, 08:22
Tiresome to use?

Right-click a few files in Windows Explorer, select "Erase", "Yes" and when finished "Close".

And that vs. having to wait until Spybot has completely started, clicking the "Tools" section, clicking "Shredder", use drag'n'drop, click "Shred", confirm with"Yes", close Spybot again?

drogo
2007-09-20, 06:18
Yes to all.