PDA

View Full Version : Spybot 1.5 hangs with warning box

simonc
2007-09-18, 11:09
I've just installed 1.5.1.15 (as Administrator) and configured it to run on system startup. I almost always log on as a more limited user. Spybot starts as before but instead of closing automatically, as 1.4 used to do, it puts up a warning which says: "This action may not be performed completely since you are not an administrator. If you want this performed for all users, please run this application elevated as an administrator." The programme then hangs until I press OK and seems to block other programmes starting.

What is the "action" it can't perform completely? Is there a way of getting Spybot to run on system startup as Administrator even though you log on as a restricted user? What's going on?

Grateful for any ideas.

spybotsandra
2007-09-18, 11:25
Hello,

Windows Vista might tell you that you are not being allowed to operate at the administration level of your computer.
You can solve this problem as follows:
Right-click the Spybot - Search & Destroy entry in your start menu,
instead of just left-clicking to start it.
Then, choose Run as administrator from the context menu.
You will find a screenshot of this problem in our FAQ:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/42.html

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

simonc
2007-09-18, 12:04
I'm running XP pro rather than Vista (sorry I forgot to specify my OS).

I can easily run Spybot as Administrator while I'm logged on (using the method you suggest). But the problem is how to achieve this when Spybot starts automatically when I log on as a restricted user.

CGirardy
2008-06-10, 08:20
I'm running XP pro rather than Vista (sorry I forgot to specify my OS).

I can easily run Spybot as Administrator while I'm logged on (using the method you suggest). But the problem is how to achieve this when Spybot starts automatically when I log on as a restricted user.

Hi,
Did you find an answer ?
I have the same problem under Windows XP and cannot find out what's going on.
It was working perfectly with 1.4 and displays this message in 1.5. I'm in the process of upgrading my network computers with 1.5 but I won't do it until I have found the solution to this error.
Thanks

Terminator
2008-06-10, 12:50
Spybot 1.5.2.20 is now the latest version so please install it:).

CGirardy
2008-06-10, 13:12
Spybot 1.5.2.20 is now the latest version so please install it:).

It's 1.5.2.20 that I'm using

spybotsandra
2008-06-10, 13:27
Hello,

So you are using version 1.5.2 and are logged in as admin on WinXP?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

CGirardy
2008-06-10, 13:34
Hello,

So you are using version 1.5.2 and are logged in as admin on WinXP?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Not logged in as admin... logged in as a power user on the computer but forget about it as I have been pushed back in my corner in this thread : http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=24363&page=2
I will delete it on all my computers and find another way to protect my network against spyware.
Thanks