PDA

View Full Version : Spybot causing problems in IE browser

ljCharlie
2007-09-18, 18:23
Okay, I just installed the latest version (I believed 1.5) of Spybot. I really like all the new features. However, after I installed Spybot and Immunized my machine, IE browser no longer works properly. I would not see any Javascript popup that I wanted to pop. Many of the sites I go to don't show the proper contents...it seems something is missing from the page. Some examples of problem page is the Mozilla Firefox download page (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/). I would not see the Download Firefox - Free button at the top. I went to asp.net site and after I sign in, it kept asking me to sign in again if I'm triyng to post a new thread. As much as I like Spybot, this is unacceptable. I'm likly to unsintall it if there is no way to fix these problems.

Any help to resolve these problems are much welcome.

ljCharlie
2007-09-18, 21:31
I have not yet to prove...but I strongly suspect that the problems with SpyBot 1.5 is serious. Spybot blocks any popup, and I mean any including Window's Restore pop up. I went into the Windows Update site and Spybot blocks that even. I uninstalled Spybot but that is not enough to resolve the problem. I had to resintall the whole operating system. So be very careful with the latest version of SpyBot or else you have to reinstall the OS like me.

When I have more times on my hand, I will install SpyBot on another machine and see if the same problem occurs...to prove that my hunch is correct.

Yahoo Serious
2007-09-19, 13:07
I just installed Spybot 1.5 (no Immunization or anything else, just trust th epresent system). Now Internet Explorer (IE) seems to have problems starting up. It does appear in the TaskManager, but does not show the GUI. Once I turn off the Spybot IE Resident I have no problem.

Also emails containing linked in content seem to be a problem (IE is the default browser).

Windows XP SP 2, 1 user, P4, 1.8 GHz, 1GB, 2x80GB
IE: 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254

FireFox has no problem at all.

You may ask me any additional configuration-information. I don't sit at this home PC a lot (my girlfriend does), but I'll look it up some weekend day or evening.

I have the Spybot IE Resident turned off now, so I hope you can find a cure. (Or do you recommend I roll back to 1.4?)

Cheers,
Yahoo

PS: update from Spybot 1.5.0.9 to 1.5.1.15 (without uninstall) did not help either. [NB: Info from tray-icon says 1.5.0.9, info from GUI reads 1.5.1.15]

ljCharlie
2007-09-19, 14:55
Many thanks for sponding. Again, right now I already have my Windows XP Pro OS repaied by reinstalling everything (not formating the current OS though) and it's working fine...except I can update. However, I got figure it out too. So for now, my machine does not have Spybot 1.5 installed anymore. Again, when I have sometime I will do another installation to another machine which I rarely use so I can do further testing.