PDA

View Full Version : Notebook CPU running hot during Spybot scan

100mill
2006-01-17, 15:10
I have an eMachines M5310 notebook which runs very hot whenever CPU instensive tasks are running and automatically shuts down. I was unable to complete a Spybot scan without having the notebook automatically shut down.

To resolve the problem, I installed SpeedSwitch and set the CPU speed to maximum battery. This lowered the maximum CPU speed which prevented the shutdown due to the CPU overheating.

The SpeedSwitch home page is at http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/index.html.

Spaticusjean
2006-02-19, 09:49
My computer has Intel Celeron 2.6 GHz, 512 MB RAM, WinXP home. Just bought a new hard drive- Seagate Barracuda 7200, 300 GB, Ultra ATA/100. When scanning with spybot or an anti virus program the CPU is maxed at 100% until I close the program. Do I need to upgrade the CPU? Is it really bad keeping CPU at 100%?

I can't get any help with this issue; I have emailed the manufacturer of the hard drive who told me to contact the maker of the CPU who directed me to the motherboard who told me to contact the software manufacturers. I don’t understand why these manufacturers can’t tell me if the motherboard can handle the hard drive!!??
Anyhow I'm not sure if it's safe to run these programs or what I can do to calm the CPU.:scratch:

bitman
2006-02-19, 18:07
Having your CPU maxed out at 100% simply means that unlike the other 99% of the time, it's actually doing something other then idling and waiting for you to do something. Upgrading the CPU would only make this time a bit shorter, not stop it from reaching 100% utilization, which is really better termed 'load'.

If your PC is properly designed, it's cooling system should handle the devices originally installed without shutting down, even when it operates at 100% load. This of course assumes room temperature and that vents on the PC aren't blocked or the case filled with dust.

If you've changed major components without purchasing them from the orginal PC manufacturer, your taking your chances. There's no way they're going to test all possible devices or know what might happen, so that's why you're getting the run around.

If you've built the PC yourself, you're resposible for the cooling design, since the case and powr supply manufacturer can only give you general specs. True PC manufacturers test the heat caracteristics of the critical devices like CPU and HDD under various ambient temperature conditions with the system running at heavy load for at least several hours. The temperature sensors must stay below certain thresholds to be approved for manufacture or the desgin is changed.

Short version, don't worry if your PC isn't shutting down, since this means it can take it. However, be sure to keep the vents clear of dust and pay attention to the sounds of the fan(s), since they indicate that heat is increasing by speeding up in some cases and should normally idle quietly.

md usa spybot fan
2006-02-19, 19:30
Spaticusjean:

As far as the processor itself, it should protect itself by throttling back even before reaching the point of thermal shutdown.

From the following Intel article:
Intel® Celeron® processor
http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/products/box_server_products/server_boards/xeon/ser_board_se7505vb2/technical_reference/36009.htm

The Celeron processor uses the Thermal Monitor feature (see Celeron Processor Datasheet for details) to protect the processor during times where the silicon would otherwise operate above specification. The feature is intended to help prevent long-term reliability damage to the processor and provide protection for unusual circumstances like higher than normal internal chassis temperatures (and inlet air temperature, defined as the air temperature entering the processor fan heatsink) or failure of a system thermal management component (such as a system fan). In its active state, the Thermal Monitor feature scales back processor power consumption, if the factory programmed thermal design temperature is exceeded (see Table 2 or the Celeron Processor Datasheet for complete thermal specifications.). While the Thermal Monitor feature is active, the system's performance may drop below its normal peak performance level. It is critical that systems be designed to maintain low enough internal chassis and processor inlet air temperatures to prevent the Celeron processor from entering a Thermal Monitor active state. In a properly thermal managed and designed system, the Thermal Monitor feature should never become active. It is recommended that the internal chassis temperature for boxed Intel Celeron processor-based systems remain below the lower set point for nominal operating environments, as shown in Table 1 and Figure 1.

Spaticusjean
2006-03-02, 05:25
thank you both very much

brainstuffch
2008-05-06, 15:24
Can you plese let me know if your computer shuts down instantanly or if he close some windows before he shut down???

md usa spybot fan
2008-05-06, 15:29
brainstuffch:

You are posting in a two year old thread!!!