PDA

View Full Version : Hang when getting list of updates

professordave
2006-01-17, 17:01
Greetings,

I have a brand new hp laptop that I am connecting to the internet through wireless G with WAP encryption. Using router linksys wrt54gs with default firmware. Going to upgrade its firmware soon.

It has windows xp professional and norton anti-virus, what came with the computer and I installed spyware blaster, which does work.

I do not know if this is related but trying to ping anything external causes ping to hang. If I ping something on my internal net it works. When ping hangs, ctrl-c does not stop it.

If I download the updates manually, everything works and I can scan.

If I ask it to get update, get the list of updates, it hangs. It hangs getting the list, not actually downloading the updates, it does not get that far.

Once hung I cannot kill it with task manager, I need to turn off the laptop.

Spywareblaster is able to get its updates.
Norton Anti-virus is able to get its updates.
Windows XP is able to get its updates

Any ideas?

lindsayb
2006-01-17, 19:08
I've got the same problem as professordave.

Can't go into detail about my tech spec as I'm not that PC literate (although I'm also using a laptop - somewhat older than professordave's - and connecting over a wireless home network)

My system hangs during the download of updates. Unlike professordave, I can download the list ok and I can stop the programme running with the task manager.

When I restart the software and try to go back in, I get error messages on the parts I've previously tried to download.

I found my way to this website and forum through the old 'report the error' button you get when you shut down software in the task manager.

So yes, anyone out there with any suggestions?:confused:

md usa spybot fan
2006-01-17, 22:05
Most problems involving the use of the integrated update procedure within Spybot-S&D are caused by either a firewall or proxy problem. That is: that SpybotSD.exe has not been authorized to access the internet in the firewall or that a proxy server sites between you and the internet and the necessary proxy parameters have not been entered into Spybot.

The update process starts with a download of a control file (spybotsd.ini) within SpybotSD.exe from either security.kolla.de (Spybot 1.3) or www.safer-networking.org (Spybot 1.4). Once this file is downloaded and processed Spybot would either present a list of possible updates or indicate that no updates are available.

If contact can not be made with the download site during this initial download, Spybot normally times out after 15 seconds and issues Socket Error message. In addition, if it encounters an error during this initial download process, it will normally issue a Socket Error message with indicating the nature of the error it encountered.

The only way that I can simulate a hang without a timeout or another Socket Error message being received, is to inactive the rules within my firewall (ZoneAlarm) and then not answer the message that my firewall issues. On other words I believe that my firewall is intercepting any response back to Spybot so that Spybot does not respond.

Since neither of you folks indicated if you are using a firewall or are sitting behind a proxy server, the only suggestion that I have is to temporarily disable your firewall, if you have one, then try an update and see if the symptoms are the same as before, if the update proceeds normally or if the symptoms change.

If the above suggestion does not work, question: There is a pop-up window that appears during the update process (Update progress). What does it say before and then during the Hang? In this pop-up window is the flashlight moving, in a steady position or what?

Scafellpike
2006-01-18, 01:22
I've been using S&D for a long time with no problems. However, I reinstalled S&D 1.4 on my pc a week or so ago and have subsequently had the same problem as lindsayb i.e the "Update Progress" pop-up window was showing the data as transferred but just "hanging". Having read this thread I disabled my firewall and it all worked ok.

professordave
2006-01-18, 03:34
Greetings,

My hangs appear to be norton related.

I could have sworn I tried turning off Norton before. But now it is better.

Dave