PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Noise

juckjones
2007-09-22, 03:28
Why does my hard drive make a whirring noise when I start up Spybot 1.5? It also makes the same noise when I select the CHECK FOR PROBLEMS button? Please help!!!

spybotsandra
2007-09-24, 09:57
Hello,

There are different ways to search for spies.
Spybot - Search & Destroy takes the advantage to check for all existing drives. Antivirus solutions do this also by the way.
It is checking inactive installations and storing a list of really available drives to avoid unnecessary lookups at later points. The creating of such an overview is taking place right at the start of Spybot - Search & Destroy. At this moment Spybot makes a quick scan to proove if itself is modified by malware or some kind of baddie. So this can take quite a few seconds. Please be patient.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

PepiMK
2007-09-24, 13:19
Also, could it be you hear the floppy drive, not a hard drive? Floppies are usually much louder and easier to hear ;)

If it's the floppy, take a look here (http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=76#note244).

Ado T
2007-09-25, 02:52
It could also be your CPU Fan speeding up due to a load being put on your CPU. I notice a sound as well when I do CPU intensive tasks

juckjones
2007-09-29, 05:00
Also, could it be you hear the floppy drive, not a hard drive? Floppies are usually much louder and easier to hear ;)

Now that you've mentioned it, I took a closer look and investigated a little further...and you were right!! It was the floppy drive! I just assumed that the noise came from my hard drive.:oops:

Thanks a lot for the help and more power to Spybot Search & Destroy. I haven't been without it since 2003.:2thumb:

b4dawn
2007-09-29, 16:15
Why does my hard drive make a whirring noise when I start up Spybot 1.5? It also makes the same noise when I select the CHECK FOR PROBLEMS button? Please help!!!
You have fallen vic to the 1.5. After 1.5 took out both of my drives, I heard the clank too.

PepiMK
2007-09-29, 16:55
@b4dawn: sure, we physically destroy hard drives :laugh:
Not even viruses can do that, even though the myth never really dies :rolleyes:
Reading your rants though I would recommend you try to remember that you're writing your "jokes" in a public place and should try to keep to the truth really.