PDA

View Full Version : SD Beta .16 (.exe) Question....

sandybeach
2007-09-27, 09:02
Forgive my lack of knowledge/skill/courage etc.
Not normally a Beta user (almost never in fact) (not techie enough when it all messes up) I wanted to ask correct method of using this zipped exe.

Just unzip & run? Do items like TT & SD Helper need to be disabled first as with new program?
Un-Install 1.5 old first then install as new program or does it run like an update ?

Does it need to be opened/run within existing S&D Folder or just from desktop/My Docs??

Thanks for your patience, Time & understanding/encouragement! :red: ;) :heart:

nOInfectIOn
2007-09-27, 09:39
0 - Just unzip & run?
1 - Do items like TT & SD Helper need to be disabled first as with new program?
2 - Un-Install 1.5 old first then install as new program or does it run like an update ?
3 - Does it need to be opened/run within existing S&D Folder or just from desktop/My Docs??
0: Unzip yes, but after that, you hava to copy the file in the Spybot-folder. Just search the SBSD-folder and put (copy and paste) the unzipped SpybotSD . exe in there. This will replace old version with the newer one. Same game with the other file - but put this in the "includes"-folder.

1: No

2: Nothing to do - it is a update / bugfix

3: See answer 0

LG :)

sandybeach
2007-09-27, 10:03
Thanks for the advice, you've saved my bacon!!!:angel:

PepiMK
2007-09-27, 10:37
And by the way, since this seems to be a good place to explain in case others are looking for the same thing:

.exe files: usually can be replaced immediately, once you have stopped the program. Only difficulty might be SDWinSec.exe (Vista only), where you have to stop the SBSD Security Center Integration service first.

.dll files: Spybot-S&D and TeaTimer need to be closed to replace these; to replace SDHelper, you all need to close all instances of Internet Explorer.

Also, this will surely be available a a complete stand-alone beta installer once the last files have been updated :)

sandybeach
2007-09-28, 09:23
Thanks for the Additional Info, most helpful!!!
Sure others will appreciate as well.

Update Note: The Copy & Paste process to the C: >program Files> SS&D folder went like lightning. Just click OK to replace & presto.

Spybot now shows loading bar in less that 5 seconds from clicking! :bigthumb: The load to full GUI also went as quick as I found 1.2/3/4 did (+/-)!! :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

Since I'm fully updated, wasn't able to check if Disconnect from Update Download is also releasing in normal time frame.
Was that included in the .16 .exe or do I need to get a separate bug fix (if needed)?? Thanks Mucho Again! Sandy :)

sandybeach
2007-09-28, 09:36
I May Have Boo-Boo'd! Upon re-reading, I DID NOT place new includes folder (or should be just contents of folder?) inside existing includes folder but rather in S&D folder thereby
REPLACING the existing w/new folder. Is this a horror?? :sick:

Did the NEW includes folder contain full list or just some additional ones? If this latter, where & how to get FULL includes (to c&p replace what I now have) ??? :rolleyes:
T.I.A ! Sandy :red:

PepiMK
2007-09-28, 10:18
No, that shouldn't be a problem.
Windows doesn't replace folders if there already is one with the same name, but merges the contents. So you did exactly the right thing :)

sandybeach
2007-09-29, 07:59
Thanks, PepiMK, for the re-assurance & your quick reply.
Hope you guys & girls know just how much we appreciate your hard work & caring for both us & your products! :angel: Sandy :heart:

sandybeach
2007-10-08, 08:54
Just Thought I'd Report Back:

Having used the _16 Beta, I can report that my 1.5 is working very well. Delayed time to GUI now normal & update disconnect function seemed to work normally now as well!! Thanks, Again! Sandy :bigthumb:

gato2006chile
2007-11-03, 05:35
estimated time for a final .16?

spybotsandra
2007-11-03, 13:06
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=19571

PepiMK
2007-11-05, 15:43
There will never be a "final" .16 ;)
.16 was a number of a special build, a new build would have a new number :)