PDA

View Full Version : Spybot 1.5.1.15 freezes Win98se from start

FJohn
2007-09-28, 01:45
I've read the problems experienced by others with version 1.5.1.15 and its certainly slows down startup approx. 1 minute using Win XPsp2. Also after downloading updates the screen temporarily freezes (up to a minute) with a white screen on exit but when using a Win98se computer (160Mb Ram) the program often totally refuses to start and after 15 minutes or so I have to kill the process or worse reset the computer. Once in a while after 5-10 minutes Spybot may open up but after an update total freezes again.
I've found Spybot 1.4 very reliable and preferred it over many other products but despite the improvements in 1.5's look and functions it appears to have some serious bugs.

spybotsandra
2007-09-28, 09:42
Hello,

We already have located the startup problems in Spybot S&D version 1.5 and fixed it:
http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=85
Here is the download file for the fix:
http://www.safer-networking.org/files/beta/SpybotSD.exe-1.5.1.16-2007-09-24-issues-76-78-79-84-85.zip
Please store the two containing files (spybotsd.exe and domains.sbs) in your Spybot folder.
Normally it is located here:
C:\Programme\Spybot - Search & Destroy

The spybotsd.exe belongs to this path:
C:\Programme\Spybot - Search & Destroy
The domains.sbs belongs to this one:
C:\Programme\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Includes

If you are asked if you want to override this files enter yes - this will make the changes.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

DrDemento
2007-09-30, 16:43
Thank you for the quick attention. I have downloaded and installed the Beta Fix for my 98SE system. The start up time after clicking the desk top icon is now normal again. I do not know yet whether this Beta Fix addresses the problem of lockup after downloading updates until the next release of updates on October 3.

fatpsu
2007-10-03, 08:33
I also have windows 98 se and the problems as described above. I downloaded the fix and put the two files in their appropriate folders, but the same problems persist.

DrDemento
2007-10-04, 13:33
Just to notify-October 4th definition updates ran smoothly on my windows 98SE system. There was a brief delay upon exiting but no freeze up. The Beta fix applied 9/24 seems to have corrected all the problems it was designed for.