PDA

View Full Version : SpySweeper kills SD 1.5

pbachman
2007-09-28, 16:46
Greetings. This is my first post to the forums, so go easy.

I've been running SD 1.4 for a long time in conjunction with Webroot SpySweeper, and never had a problem. Since the 1.5 upgrade, whenever SD tires to scan or open the UI, SpySweeper goes to 90+% CPU and keeps killing the UI instance - I can see the UI die and reappear with Sysinternals Process Explorer. I order for SD to open or run a scan, I have to shut down SpySweeper.

I saw something similar once before with SpySweeper's email attachement shield conflicting with ZoneLabs and had to shut off that shield to clear the problem. I wonder if I'll have to shut down another of SpySweeper's shields.

Q: Has anyone else seen this and are there any known workarounds?

PB

b4dawn
2007-09-29, 14:57
Greetings. This is my first post to the forums, so go easy.

I've been running SD 1.4 for a long time in conjunction with Webroot SpySweeper, and never had a problem. Since the 1.5 upgrade, whenever SD tires to scan or open the UI, SpySweeper goes to 90+% CPU and keeps killing the UI instance - I can see the UI die and reappear with Sysinternals Process Explorer. I order for SD to open or run a scan, I have to shut down SpySweeper.

I saw something similar once before with SpySweeper's email attachement shield conflicting with ZoneLabs and had to shut off that shield to clear the problem. I wonder if I'll have to shut down another of SpySweeper's shields.

Q: Has anyone else seen this and are there any known workarounds?

PB

I downloaded 1.5 a few days ago with all the trust they had built up over the years. As 1.5 was installed SpySweeper agreed with some issues by advising not to block certain operations that SSD was doing but also was blocking a lot of operations 1.5 was doing. Norton was finding worms all over the place.

So the way I look at it I dodged crashes for years with a backup system of my own but because of the adversarial relationship safer has with everyone else. 1.5 turned it's full power to turn off Norton, fill my disc with all the stuff it's suppose to keep out and crashed not one but because I trusted SSD, my clone backup. Never again safer.

PepiMK
2007-09-29, 17:03
1.5 turned it's full power to turn off Norton, fill my disc with all the stuff it's suppose to keep out

Evidence please. You seem to post this in answer to every problem you read here.

If you really believe in this, open one topic where you might ask as many others as you want to reproduce that. I even ask you to do that.

Hell, start a class action against us and sue our asses off if you really believe that - that would be the proper legal way, instead of spreading FUD and slander, which is quite the illegal way.

pbachman
2007-09-30, 00:27
So now that b4dawn has had his/her rant, has anyone else run into problems like I described in the original post?

Specifically SpySweeper seems to identify SD as some sort of malware and repeatedly (and silently) kills the process when it tries to open the UI or run a scan.