PDA

View Full Version : Spybot 1.5 not installing

Sneakiness
2007-09-29, 07:15
My spybot wont install :sad: I get the message:

Error sending request
The server name or address could not be resolved

What does this mean and how can I fix it?

b4dawn
2007-09-29, 16:17

Error sending request

What does this mean and how can I fix it?Get rid of 1.5 and SSD completly until they work their problems out with Symantec, SpySweeper and Zone Alarm.

There is some bad mojo here which are putting customers? at risk.

PepiMK
2007-09-29, 16:54
:funny: (@b4dawn)

Why not post something constructive?
You might notice that Symantec only more than a full year after agreeing on something finally even worked out THEIR problems. Don't know about any problems with the others, and neither about your mental problems ;)

@Sneakiness: how about some more information? When exactly do you get this error message? When downloading the installer, immediately when starting the installation, or at the end of the installation?

Always Confused
2007-09-29, 19:29
I would add that I went through the recent Spybot beta-test period, then installed Spybot 1.5.1 and, a few days ago, 1.5.1.16.

Meanwhile, I always had Spy Sweeper installed and running, with the single exception of its Email Attachments Shield (as that had caused a few problems with other programs.) Not once did I have any interference between Spybot and Spy Sweeper.

pmcaldararo
2007-12-27, 20:42

Error sending request

What does this mean and how can I fix it?

When you install Spybot S&D, the option to "Download Updates Immediately" is selected by default. With this option selected, you need to be connected to the internet in order to complete the installation.
If you are not connected to the internet, just clear the checkbox beside "Download Updates Immediately" and you should be able to install without issue.

noel-pr7
2008-01-01, 02:07
:funny: (@b4dawn)

Why not post something constructive?
You might notice that Symantec only more than a full year after agreeing on something finally even worked out THEIR problems. Don't know about any problems with the others, and neither about your mental problems ;)

@Sneakiness: how about some more information? When exactly do you get this error message? When downloading the installer, immediately when starting the installation, or at the end of the installation?

you said it, PepiMK. geez what's the matter with that b4dawn guy? perhaps he needs to take a vacation, a really LONG vacation if he can't say anything "constructive"

See this thread on resolving conflicts between Spybot and Zone Alarm:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=448

gungebucket
2008-01-01, 13:09
When you install Spybot S&D, the option to "Download Updates Immediately" is selected by default. With this option selected, you need to be connected to the internet in order to complete the installation.
If you are not connected to the internet, just clear the checkbox beside "Download Updates Immediately" and you should be able to install without issue.

Yes that works ok. (I was looking for a hint too :) ) But SSD won't check for problems, instead gives an error "You need to install detection updates first etc etc". So how can we do that if there's no internet? Is there a way to save the updates to a file, then transfer via disk of memory stick or whatever?
(My main PC has a server hijack problem.)
Perhaps I should start another thread with this question.

Thanx. Pete.

spybotsandra
2008-01-01, 13:18
Hello,

Please download theupdate file on another computer, copy these to a CD or USB stick and then install and run it on the infected computer:
Update file (http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files/spybotsd_includes.exe)

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

gungebucket
2008-01-01, 13:59
Thanks for such a quick response Sandra. :bigthumb:
After I posted, I was still looking for the answer on the forums, ( I had been checking for ages , as well as watching TV and eating toast and marmalade, by the by :) ).
And eventually looked twice at the 'Downloads' page, which made me realise what a numpty I had been! :whistle:

Thanks again, and a happy new year to you.

Pete.

spybotsandra
2008-01-01, 14:23
you're welcome.
and happy new year too.

gungebucket
2008-01-06, 18:21
Spybot S&D working nicely on both PCs now. :bigthumb:

sjeartc
2009-07-18, 09:02
I am having exactly the same problem, (and same message) trying to install SSD after a crash. (I also am getting the same problem trying to install 'Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool'.)
It is definintely NOT because I am not on line (I have broadband always on broadband, and other dowloads and uploads work perfectly.) I've even tried deleting the EXE and dowloading it from other sources but still no luck.
HELP PLEASE! I love my Spybot!

spybotsandra
2009-07-20, 10:42
Hello,

Have you disabled the update feature during the installation like recommended before?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot