PDA

View Full Version : 1.5 takes 35+ seconds just to open

tanstaafl
2007-09-30, 02:21
Why is it so much slower to open?

This is not on just one computer... I have installed it on 6 so far, and all experience the exact same problem... 35+ seconds from clicking on the icon on the toolbar until it starts to open.

This is on Windows XP Pro sp2, all updates applied.

Also, why does it warn about not being able to even IMMUNIZE when on a non-admin account? It never did that with 1.4.

Also, if I update it using an Admin account, and perform a full immunization, it immunizes everything fine - then log in as a power user, I am unable to apply full immunizations the first time... I have to run the immunization, log out, log in as admin, RE-immunize AGAIN, log off, log back in as power user, and THEN immunization works (after warning me twice I'm not admin.

I'm seriously considering going back to 1.4... :(

md usa spybot fan
2007-09-30, 06:12
The slow startup of Spybot 1.5 is a known problem that has been fixed. See this tracking ticket on the problem:
Find out about delayed user interface startup
http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=85
You cannot fully immunize from a limited account because a limited account does not normally have the proper permissions on all the registry hives were immunization is done. Nothing has changed in that respect from Spybot 1.4 to Spybot 1.5, it just is reported differently so that it more apparent in Spybot 1.5 than it was in Spybot 1.4.

tanstaafl
2007-09-30, 20:30
The slow startup of Spybot 1.5 is a known problem that has been fixed.

Thanks for the link - yes, updating these files fixed the problem... thanks...

You cannot fully immunize from a limited account because a limited account does not normally have the proper permissions on all the registry hives were immunization is done. Nothing has changed in that respect from Spybot 1.4 to Spybot 1.5, it just is reported differently so that it more apparent in Spybot 1.5 than it was in Spybot 1.4.

I know this... but what doesn't make sense to me is why I have to do it TWICE. Meaning, I have to immunize as an Admin, then immunize as the user, then immunize as an admin AGAIN, then as a user AGAIN... only after the SECOND user immunization does it show as having all immunizations applied.

I should only have to update, apply immunizations as an admin ONCE, then apply user immunizations ONCE.

Or, what am I missing?

md usa spybot fan
2007-09-30, 23:41
... I know this... but what doesn't make sense to me is why I have to do it TWICE. ...
Tanstaafl:

I'm sorry, but I cannot reproduce your problem on my system (Windows XP Home Edition). Everything seems to be totally immunized after immunizing once from a "Computer administrator account" and then once from an individual "Limited account".

What Windows OS are you running?

Also, after immunizing clicking the "Immunize" button in the right pane (the one with the large green plus sign), have you attempted to click the "Check again" button to see if items that can not be immunized under that particular account have already been immunized with a read only check of items in the registry.

tanstaafl
2007-10-01, 23:53
Tanstaafl:
Also, after immunizing clicking the "Immunize" button in the right pane (the one with the large green plus sign), have you attempted to click the "Check again" button to see if items that can not be immunized under that particular account have already been immunized with a read only check of items in the registry.

Ahh... ok... but that is really weird - shouldn't it do that automatically?

No worries - with the beta fix for the speed issue, and this explanation, I'm good... thanks a lot!