PDA

View Full Version : Spybot and Firefox!

Sleek26
2007-09-30, 14:24
For some reason spybot won't detect that i have firefox installed, it won't load the protection for firefox just IE, i have the same problem within spywareblaster too, running Vista Ultimate 32bit, Nod32 as my av and Comodo as my firewall!

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Zenobia
2007-09-30, 23:51
Is your Firefox installed in the default location,etc,or did you custom install or anything?
The reason I ask is that I was able to get Spybot not to "see" Firefox by removing the Mozilla folder from C:\Users\<myusername>\AppData\Roaming.It's probably unlikely your Mozilla folder is not located there,but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

PepiMK
2007-10-01, 13:20
The location where the executable is installed shouldn't matter. I'll try to describe how our tools try to locate the Mozilla/Firefox/&c browsers:

For each user, it gets the application data folder.
There, it looks for the following files in subfolders:
Phoenix\registry.dat
Mozilla\registry.dat
Beonex\registry.dat
Firebird\registry.dat
nsreg.dat
Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini
Thunderbird\profiles.ini
Each of these files, if it exists, should point to a prefs.js file, which is then regarded as a profile location of the corresponding browser.(Only exception: for K-Meleon, another clone, the registry file is looked for in a subfolder of the program files folder)

btw, @Zenobia: are you part of a domain (since you mention a roaming folder)?

Sleek26
2007-10-01, 14:00
Is your Firefox installed in the default location,etc,or did you custom install or anything?
The reason I ask is that I was able to get Spybot not to "see" Firefox by removing the Mozilla folder from C:\Users\<myusername>\AppData\Roaming.It's probably unlikely your Mozilla folder is not located there,but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Hi mate, yes its there, the profile folders are all in the correct place i assume, i installed them all in the default locations, i have uninstalled and reinstalled 2 or 3 times firefox and each time removing all its remnants.

The location where the executable is installed shouldn't matter. I'll try to describe how our tools try to locate the Mozilla/Firefox/&c browsers:

1. For each user, it gets the application data folder.
2. There, it looks for the following files in subfolders:
* Phoenix\registry.dat
* Mozilla\registry.dat
* Beonex\registry.dat
* Firebird\registry.dat
* nsreg.dat
* Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini
* Thunderbird\profiles.ini
3. Each of these files, if it exists, should point to a prefs.js file, which is then regarded as a profile location of the corresponding browser.

(Only exception: for K-Meleon, another clone, the registry file is looked for in a subfolder of the program files folder)

Hi, do you mean the "AppData" folder? if so theres 3 folders under that which are Local, Localnow and Roaming, under Local there is a Mozilla\Firefox\ folder but no Registry.dat files, within those folders there are cache files etc.

Under the Roaming folder there is a \Mozilla\Firefox and \Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles folder which my profiles are located under, in the \Mozilla\Firefox folder there is the profiles.ini and the pluginreg.dat, i can't find a Registry.dat file within any of those folders.

I also can't find an nsreg.dat file

Hope that info helps.

Best Regards

Sleek26

PepiMK
2007-10-01, 15:05
Here's a project tools issue about it:
Firefox not fully supported on Vista (http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=92)
Problem confirmed and fixed :)

Sleek26
2007-10-01, 15:22
Hi, does this mean there will be a new beta soon for spybot that corrects this issue? im not sure how the system works here :)

Thanks and good work.

PepiMK
2007-10-01, 15:29
Yes, about that :)

First, in the next days there'll be just a new main executable (SpybotSD.exe) available in that issue. That's more like an immediate alpha, though since we're that short after the final 1.5 and these are small maintenance fixes, I doubt they would create new problems.
Also, we plan a new full (installer & all) beta package quite soon.

Sleek26
2007-10-01, 17:20
Sounds Great :bigthumb: