PDA

View Full Version : Nothing seems to stop the pop-ups

tvdiessen
2005-11-02, 17:13
I'm desperate to find a way to get rid of irritating pop-ups.

I tried everythink, various programs, manual removal, nothing works. I run Ad-aware, spybot s&d, AVG free, Norton Antivirus. All the newest versions and fully updated.
Sometimes they find something, I remove it folowing instructions et all and sometimes all programs find nothing. But I still get the pop-ups. I'm desperate now.
The programs found the following adware/malware: Zestyfind, Coolwebsearch, Adware.look2me, Isearch, something with prefetch, Trojan.moo, Trojan.byteVerify and Istbar.
My computer is fully firewalled by the internet Router, windows and all mentioned programs...

What to do, I'm out of ideas.. Please help

tashi
2005-11-02, 21:12
. I run Ad-aware, spybot s&d, AVG free, Norton Antivirus. All the newest versions and fully updated.

Hello tvdiessen.
If you have two resident antivirus programs installed please remove/disable one of them. You could keep one as a on call scanner. (Remove it from Startups and update it before using to scan, turning off the resident while doing so.)
Rule of thumb is one Firewall/AV to avoid conflicts and loss of program efficiency.

We are not currently setup to work HJT logs (which helpers use to remove malware infections)

You will need to go to a forum that removes malware using a program called HijackThis. (HJT)

A good place to start:
http://asap.maddoktor2.com/

Choose a site from the list on the left hand side of that page.
It is a long list so to shorten it in no particular order:

TomCoyote
MalWare Removal
Atribune.org
BleepingComputer
Spyware Warrior
Subratam.org

Once at the site read the procedure for posting a HJT log, start your own topic and an authorized helper will assist you as soon as possible.

Be sure to read the site's faqs for tips on prevention and tightening up your computer security.

Hope that helps. :)

hitbit
2005-11-04, 00:24
Have u considered Panicware's "pop up stopper pro". They provide a free trial version.
hitbit

tashi
2005-11-04, 05:56
Hi hitbit.

Fyi: a popup stopper will not prevent popups from the malware tvdiessen described as possibly infecting the system.

Cheers. :)

David Arnatt
2005-11-04, 09:15
I recommend Firefox instead of iexplorer - www.mozilla.org or www.download.com it is a very good program since using it at home / work less spyware has been picked up even compared going to a site in iexplorer then running then going in mozilla and running - give it a shot and tell me what you think its a free program so nothing to lose.