PDA

View Full Version : Malware scan interrupted by... malware

cosmocanuck
2007-10-04, 01:10
Hi there!

I'm trying to assist a friend whose PC seems to be infected with a bunch of bad stuff, and SS&D looks to be just the thing. So far, I've downloaded the latest version, updated it with the latest info, and tried to run it.

Trouble is, while it's running (and finding lots of bad stuff to destroy!), one or more of these programs pops up and does their thing, and in doing so, cause the system to freeze.

So I seem to be in a sort of catch-22 - can't get rid of all the malware because it's interrupting the scan process!

I confess I'm a Mac guy with less than exhaustive knowledge of things PC. So I don't know if there's some way to, perhaps, start up Windows in a "safe mode" that will keep the bad stuff at bay while SS&D does its thing... is that even possible?

At any rate, any and all suggestions are welcome.

BTW, my friend is running Windows 98.

Thanks!
adam

Nicholas the Italian
2007-10-04, 01:25
So I don't know if there's some way to, perhaps, start up Windows in a "safe mode" that will keep the bad stuff at bay while SS&D does its thing... is that even possible?

Press F8 while Windows is starting to load.
Also, you can try to use TaskManager to kill processes that look like malware. This may or may not help.

The taskmanager thing does not apply for Win98. Only 2000 and above.

cosmocanuck
2007-10-04, 01:59
Thanks! Or should I say... grazie!
:laugh:

I will give F8 a try.

- adam

tashi
2007-10-04, 06:54
Hello cosmocanuck.

Can you produce a HJT log as shown in the topic here: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)
If so, please copy paste the HJT log into a new topic you would start in the Malware Removal Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22)

Let us know how it goes. :)

cosmocanuck
2007-10-09, 22:28
Well, F8 worked well, but one malicious program evidently couldn't be removed... it asked to reboot and then it started a long rescan after startup, which I couldn't stick around for. Evidently at the end of it there was a message that Windows would need to be reinstalled. (Again, I wasn't able to be at the computer to see precisely what the message was).

Sounds like one bit of malware was just too entrenched?

If I reinstall Windows for her how do I keep these things at bay in the future? As opposed to having to (hopefully) delete them after they've already embedded themselves?

Thanks!
adam