PDA

View Full Version : Helloween Edition - beta 1

PepiMK
2007-10-07, 19:12
spybotsd15he-beta1.exe (http://www.safer-networking.org/files/beta/spybotsd15he-beta1.exe)

This is the full installer for all the bugs fixed and new features implemented since 1.5.1.15.

Helloween Edition just stands as a temporary name for an update we want to be available this month :)

The installer has been updated a bit: InnoSetup 5.20 now (no idea if it fixes the floating point problems), I've improved all the localization stuff and had to move a few things around, but in general everything should be available in every language in the installer now, and I've also included the Explorer context menu option "Erase with Spybot" and the separate shredder.

If you want to test, feedback on those project tools entries here that didn't receive any testing feedback would be nice :)

djpailo
2007-10-07, 19:21
Nice..I'm installing it now. Hopefully it will fix that lag problem. It's taking a while to install the new definitions...

pudelein
2007-10-08, 01:17
I downloaded and installed the halloween Edition Beta1 this afternoon and gave it a whirl. I am happy to report that it totally removes the "slow loading" issue: the initial progress bar appears on my 1.7 GHz P4 in around 4 sec now instead of more than 4 min(!) before. The scans are significantly faster than in 1.5.1.15 and even somewhat faster than in 1.4 All this is excellent.

One comment, however: I had some trouble turning off the "usage trace" scanning. It would be nice if this feature could be made more prominent. I do not want such because I manage cookies using CCleaner and having to deal with cookies selectively in more than one place (browser, CCleaner, SSD, ...) is a pain.

The shredder option in the context menus is an interesting touch. However, this should be made optional: make an option parallel to those for TeaTimer,
selected perhaps in the installer and/or in the SSD settings menu. Again this is a feature I personally do not need since I have SecureDelete and Privacy Guardian, both of which already are in the context menu.

Looks like a winner from here! Good work!

PepiMK
2007-10-08, 08:21
Oh, the context menu option is actually not the shredder, but a tool that allows you to remove (for example malware) files even if they're not removable through the Explorer, because they're associated with a running process, loaded as a module or as a file into another application, etc..

But you're right, both additional tools should be optional. I had in mind to add options to the installer, but due to those unexpected changes I was making to the localization of the installer, I somehow didn't make it in time ;)

DrDemento
2007-10-08, 17:44
As a novice could someone please explain how I go about installing this new beta .17? Do I uninstall version 1.5 that I currently have with the .16 beta patch first and then download and intall this new Beta as a full install?

sims39
2007-10-08, 19:22
Windows Vista Home Premium
32-bit Operating System
1014 MB RAM
Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo CPU T2450 @ 2.00GHz 2.00 GHz
-----------------------------------------------------

1. When i installed the Halloween Edition i selected download updates, unticked languages and blinduser. I got this error

Unable to execute file:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDWinSec.exe

CreateProcess failed; code 740.
The requested operation requires elevation.

2. When the steps window popped up, with the 1 out of 7 steps displayed i pressed 'Next step' or whatever its called and it went straight to the 7th step, where did the other 5 go?

3. Why is it when i selected Update there was available updates and one called 'updated immunization database' when i selected download updates immediately in immunization.

4. When i clicked immunize after all the updates i just downloaded, the immunization and English files and startup entry, i clicked immunize and i got this dialog error
'You are missing administrator rights to perform this action.
If you need to do this, please run this application elevated as administrator.'
The problem is i went to control panel - user accounts. And my User account is the only one there and it says it is an administrator and password protected
e.g

heath
Administrator
Password protected

I than pressed ok and it went to the immunize screen in SB and the scanning to see what was immunized and what wasn't started and i had 0 immunized and so i pressed immunize and i got a different elevated administrator rights warning but it than immunized 26975 items and35941 remain unprotected. Whats going on here?

5. Why is English and Esperanto under languages, i chose English, i love Esperanto but i didn't install it or choose it, its a universal language but default it why?

PepiMK
2007-10-08, 22:22
I've been told that it's Halloween, not Helloween. And that for an Ireland fan like me :sick: Well, see the name as a tribute to Helloween (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helloween), which I like to listen too too often it seems ;)

5. Well, I guess since language files are so very small that Esperanto is kind of equal to English... perhaps ;) Offered as a default alternative to English because many speakers of roman (latin) languages might be somewhat able to understand it a little bit.

The administrator rights thing is probably FAQ 042 (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/42.html) (a new security concept on Vista), but I'll read and answer more carefully tomorrow :)

goofer
2007-10-08, 23:13
Just fired up Beta. Everything improved- evreything fixed.

Goofer

Sleek26
2007-10-09, 12:37
Was this beta suppose to fix the firefox spybot immunization problem too? I installed and still only detects IE :(

PepiMK
2007-10-09, 12:39
What exactly is "the firefox immunization problem"?
There, is, for example, this one (http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=92), which should be fixed now.
No one else posted any success there though.
Or another one?

Sleek26
2007-10-09, 12:48
Well you see the thing is, it could be my setup becuase it worked fine before then all of a sudden it stopped detecting firefox along with spywareblaster, i have no clue, i just thought it was a problem with vista and spybot.

PepiMK
2007-10-09, 12:52
So... it is on Vista in your case? Then it was probably this issue, but not fixed for you?

Sleek26
2007-10-09, 13:00
Could be the Vista issue but im not 100% sure, it worked before but not now and nothing changed, execpt i update software as usual when new versions come out, ive never added anything new, and yeah i still have the problem.

sims39
2007-10-09, 15:41
I took a long time to type my bugs, please read

Windows Vista Home Premium
32-bit Operating System
1014 MB RAM
Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo CPU T2450 @ 2.00GHz 2.00 GHz
-----------------------------------------------------

1. When i installed the Halloween Edition i selected download updates, unticked languages and blinduser. I got this error

Unable to execute file:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDWinSec.exe

CreateProcess failed; code 740.
The requested operation requires elevation.

2. When the steps window popped up, with the 1 out of 7 steps displayed i pressed 'Next step' or whatever its called and it went straight to the 7th step, where did the other 5 go?

3. Why is it when i selected Update there was available updates and one called 'updated immunization database' when i selected download updates immediately in immunization.

4. When i clicked immunize after all the updates i just downloaded, the immunization and English files and startup entry, i clicked immunize and i got this dialog error
'You are missing administrator rights to perform this action.
If you need to do this, please run this application elevated as administrator.'
The problem is i went to control panel - user accounts. And my User account is the only one there and it says it is an administrator and password protected
e.g

heath
Administrator
Password protected

I than pressed ok and it went to the immunize screen in SB and the scanning to see what was immunized and what wasn't started and i had 0 immunized and so i pressed immunize and i got a different elevated administrator rights warning but it than immunized 26975 items and35941 remain unprotected. Whats going on here?

5. Why is English and Esperanto under languages, i chose English, i love Esperanto but i didn't install it or choose it, its a universal language but default it why?

PepiMK
2007-10-09, 16:19
@sims39: is this different from the previous page?

1. Vista should ask for elevation when starting the installer. Did it do that? If not, that's indeed a bug in the installer (in that case we might rename it to spybotsd-setup.exe or something, because Vista recognizes "setup" as part of the filename as an installer as well).

2. The others inbetween are conditional ones; e.g. there's one to allow you to import the Internet Explorer proxy settings. If you don't have a proxy set up in Internet Explorer, it isn't shown at all.

3. The immunization database isn't part of the updates downloaded during the installation. Maybe we should add it there though, good point :)

4. Again, that's already answered on the previous page, see FAQ #042 I linked there.
On Vista, even as an administrator, you have to tell the computer you want to do an administrator operation.

5. Also already answered. Should've copied only the open parts ;-p

sims39
2007-10-09, 17:51
Vista didn't ask for that elevated thing before install, i installed it, updates downloaded immediately than when i clicked finished and spybot launched i got that error i mentioned in bug number 1

Rosenfeld
2007-10-10, 00:02
Clean install on XP SP2. Running well. Now only 3 seconds for the GUI to show (faster than ever :-).

jeeprad
2007-10-10, 01:05
Halloween Beta solved the slow load prob. :bigthumb: Thanks.
But...I believe I read that there was no immunization update with the beta .17...is this true? Because I thought I saw it there and was really happy that it worked; but if there wasn't one, then I feel pretty dumb thinking that this fixed the immunization problem when we don't know that yet.(Please inform.)

Finally, I've never run a beta while there was a final available, so how does the update work now? If I just do a standard update, won't that just update v1.5.1.15 and negate the Halloween beta? I'd really appreciate an explanation on that too.

Thanks.

Rosenfeld
2007-10-10, 02:32
The updates are the same for both.

PepiMK
2007-10-10, 11:36
@Sleek26: I tested Firefox support a bit more; on real machines with Vista as well as on virtual machines, both with regular and the roaming/etc folder structures. Firefox well detected :-/

@sims39: looking deeper into 1. currently, did just reproduce it.

wk357mag
2007-10-11, 03:12
i noticed that the progression bar in update, is now gone. Is this a planned thing? or a boo-boo?

Is there away we can take the schredder out of the context menu?

SO far I notice nothing wrong with it. Works great!

PepiMK
2007-10-11, 09:09
There's no shredder in the context menu?

That's a completely different thing - it allows hard removal of files, even if they're running or locked by other applications. During installation, it can be (un)selected under the name Spybot-S&D File Eraser.

Progress bar: might be some confusion with the new file size column? Will have to check!

wk357mag
2007-10-11, 10:02
There's no shredder in the context menu?

That's a completely different thing - it allows hard removal of files, even if they're running or locked by other applications. During installation, it can be (un)selected under the name Spybot-S&D File Eraser.

Progress bar: might be some confusion with the new file size column? Will have to check!

Sorry for confusion here. There *IS* the schredder present in context menu. Was asking how to get rid of it?

I dont really need the progress bar, just was noting that it was not there anymore

PepiMK
2007-10-11, 10:24
Do you have a screenshot? There's simply no code to set up the shredder for the context menu (we're speaking about the context menu for files in Windows Explorer, right?), so I'm quite confused now :fear:

The only context menu item that gets installed during installation would be the one showing "Erase using Spybot - Search & Destroy". That's linked to SDDelFile.exe (http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=68), not to SDShred.exe (http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=90).

The registry entry for this would be HKCR*\Shell\sddelfile, just remove that and it won't appear again (until you use SDDelFile.exe on the command line).

If you really refer to a shredder entry, I really need a screenshot :D

wk357mag
2007-10-11, 14:50
Do you have a screenshot? There's simply no code to set up the shredder for the context menu (we're speaking about the context menu for files in Windows Explorer, right?), so I'm quite confused now :fear:

The only context menu item that gets installed during installation would be the one showing "Erase using Spybot - Search & Destroy". That's linked to SDDelFile.exe (http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=68), not to SDShred.exe (http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=90).

The registry entry for this would be HKCR*\Shell\sddelfile, just remove that and it won't appear again (until you use SDDelFile.exe on the command line).

If you really refer to a shredder entry, I really need a screenshot :D

Yeah, thats the one Im talking about

PepiMK
2007-10-11, 15:06
I don't know the second one, that one is not coming from Spybot-S&D, but the first one is the thing I mentioned in post #22, and NOT the shredder ;) See post #24 on how to remove it ;)

ferrux
2007-10-11, 20:01
Thanks Pepi
it's much faster also in the updating definition process.

Ferrux

wk357mag
2007-10-11, 21:09
Oh sorry, I didnt really explain that last post, but will now.

Yeah, I do NOW read your instructions on removing the spybot shredder entry.

The second one, is from the ERASURE shreddar, which I recommend and prefer!

Thanks I now know how to fix what I want to

michhala
2007-10-20, 08:33
As a novice could someone please explain how I go about installing this new beta .17? Do I uninstall version 1.5 that I currently have with the .16 beta patch first and then download and intall this new Beta as a full install?

I have not seen a reply on the forum to DrDemento's question? Did I miss it? I have Version 1.5.1.15 with the slow loading problem. I downloaded the Hallowe'en version, but before installing need to know if I should first do a clean uninstall of the 1.5.1.15.

My thanks.....

Miki

wk357mag
2007-10-20, 09:00
I think there should be no issue with installing over top of your current installation. But, for me, I always do a clean install, but, thats just the way I am.

michhala
2007-10-20, 18:33
I think there should be no issue with installing over top of your current installation. But, for me, I always do a clean install, but, thats just the way I am.

Thank you......that's just the way I am, too :) Whenever there is an option, I like to do a clean install. However, I was not sure if the Hallowe'en Beta was a complete version or just a fix for the existing 1.5.1.15.

Miki

DrDemento
2007-10-21, 16:48
Thanks for bringing my question back to the forefront. I was still wondering whether I needed to uninstall the original version with the .16 patch or not.

michhala
2007-10-21, 19:43
Thanks for bringing my question back to the forefront. I was still wondering whether I needed to uninstall the original version with the .16 patch or not.

Most welcome. My indecision is based on the fact that unless the Hallowe'en Beta .17 is just the installer, the file is only 8.42 MB and not large enough to be a full version.

Miki

djpailo
2007-10-21, 20:28
Most welcome. My indecision is based on the fact that unless the Hallowe'en Beta .17 is just the installer, the file is only 8.42 MB and not large enough to be a full version.

Miki

I installed it and I still have all the normal features? Maybe they managed to cut the file size down a little?

PepiMK
2007-10-21, 20:49
"only" 8.42 MB ... wow, that made my day :)
Sorry, not joking actually... file size is quite important to us (me at least)!

Anyway, it's larger than the public 1.5, so I don't think there's anything to worry ;) The installer version always is the "full" thing (minus the updates that are downloaded separate); creating additional installer versions is a lot of work that I usually wouldn't do ;)

md usa spybot fan
2007-10-21, 20:52
The orginal spybotsd15.exe installer was 7.12 MB (7,467,056 bytes). The spybotsd15he-beta1.exe installer is actually larger at 8.42 MB (8,830,056 bytes).

PepiMK
2007-10-21, 20:59
Oh, md usa spybot fan ist right of course!
Guess that's the newer help files (more pictures) and some other updated databases.

Not sure where your (michhalas) idea of it not being large enough comes from?

michhala
2007-10-22, 01:00
Oh, md usa spybot fan ist right of course!
Guess that's the newer help files (more pictures) and some other updated databases.

Not sure where your (michhalas) idea of it not being large enough comes from?

Add/Remove shows Spybot Search & Destroy as 20.15 MB. How weird is that!

I have always removed all traces from the registry and otherwise for each new version.

Miki

michhala
2007-10-22, 01:17
Add/Remove shows Spybot Search & Destroy as 20.15 MB. How weird is that!

I have always removed all traces from the registry and otherwise for each new version.

Miki

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Applircation Data
36.4 MB.

So...am I having a blonde moment or what :scratch:

Miki

michhala
2007-10-22, 02:19
Apologies......I should have checked the setup for 1.5.1.15 on my setup backup disk which was 7.12 MB -- I would have seen that was closer to the Hallowe'en Beta .17's 8.42 MB.

But why 20MB on Add/Remove? Everything was removed when I upgraded to 1.5.1.15.

MIki

PepiMK
2007-10-22, 08:19
Well, inside the installer, the files are all compressed, so it can be expected they're a bit larger once installed. And of course there is the detection database, which gets downloaded afterwards (the installer would nearly always be outdated if they were included). That plus the archives of the update files (which are kept to allow users to easier reproduce what the application is doing during an update, even if it looks like a waste of space at first) could easily make the 20 MB I guess.

Then logs (1 or 2 MB maybe), the initial registry backup (can easily be 10 MB), probably the quarantine (totally depends on how much stuff you've removed with Spybot-S&D)... I don't think the Add/Remove page will count them, but they reside inside the Application Data folder.

michhala
2007-10-22, 09:19
Well, inside the installer, the files are all compressed, so it can be expected they're a bit larger once installed. And of course there is the detection database, which gets downloaded afterwards (the installer would nearly always be outdated if they were included). That plus the archives of the update files (which are kept to allow users to easier reproduce what the application is doing during an update, even if it looks like a waste of space at first) could easily make the 20 MB I guess.

Then logs (1 or 2 MB maybe), the initial registry backup (can easily be 10 MB), probably the quarantine (totally depends on how much stuff you've removed with Spybot-S&D)... I don't think the Add/Remove page will count them, but they reside inside the Application Data folder.

PepiMK -- My thanks for the clarification and replies to my questions. It all makes sense now. I have lots of room on my hard drive so I am not concerned about "wasted space".

Appreciate your time and patience.

Miki

noel-pr7
2007-10-27, 18:28
@sims39: is this different from the previous page?

1. Vista should ask for elevation when starting the installer. Did it do that? If not, that's indeed a bug in the installer (in that case we might rename it to spybotsd-setup.exe or something, because Vista recognizes "setup" as part of the filename as an installer as well).

2. The others inbetween are conditional ones; e.g. there's one to allow you to import the Internet Explorer proxy settings. If you don't have a proxy set up in Internet Explorer, it isn't shown at all.

3. The immunization database isn't part of the updates downloaded during the installation. Maybe we should add it there though, good point :)

4. Again, that's already answered on the previous page, see FAQ #042 I linked there.
On Vista, even as an administrator, you have to tell the computer you want to do an administrator operation.

5. Also already answered. Should've copied only the open parts ;-p

or better yet, disable Vista's user account control feature, restart Vista and then setup Spybot 1.5.1.17 beta. I have UAC turned off on the Vista Home Basic laptop since some programs do not work correctly with UAC turned on (ERUNT, one of my favorite utils to backup and compress the registry files in Win2k/Xp/Vista, is one that works under Vista w/out UAC).

for now I'm steering clear of this "helloween" beta of spybot until a more stable version is released to fix several bugs. I'm happy with the final version of 1.5.

Stijnson
2007-11-08, 13:39
Hi, I'm new to this forum (and new to Spybot as well) and I have a question about the installer that comes with version 1.5.1.17. During the installation process I come to a screen that reads 'Extra tasks'. Under 'Permanent protection' I see 2 check boxes:

-Use Internet Explorer protection (SDhelper)
-Use system settings protection (TeaTimer)

First of all, what do these options do?
Secondly, does this mean Spybot isn't protecting Firefox (my main web browser)?

spybotsandra
2007-11-08, 14:08
Hello,

The resident section of Spybot - Search & Destroy is devided into two parts: the SDHelper and the TeaTimer.

The *Resident TeaTimer* is a Spybot-S&D tool perpetually monitoring the processes called/initiated. It immediately detects known malicious processes wanting to start and terminates them giving you some options how to deal with this process in the future: You can set TeaTimer to:

- be informed, when the process tries to start again
- automatically kill the process
- or generally allow the process to run

There is also an option to delete the file associated with this process.

In addition, TeaTimer detects, when something wants to change some critical registry keys. TeaTimer can protect you against such changes again giving you an option: You can either "Allow" or "Deny" the change.

As TeaTimer is always running in the background.

The *SDHelper/Immunize*

Spybot-S&D allows you to immunize your computer against some spyware. It currently offers three different immunities:

Permanent Browser immunity: Similar to JavaCools SpywareBlaster, this allows you to tweak some internal Browser settings to block the installation of known spyware (and similar threats) installers via ActiveX. Spybot-S&D is able to set all entries for those that are in its database to be blocked. If you want to distinguish, you should install SpywareBlaster.

Permanently running bad download blocker for your Browser: This is a second layer of protection. While the Permanent Immunity blocks installers by their ActiveX ID, this one blocks anything that should come through by different aspects.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Stijnson
2007-11-08, 14:36
Hi Spybotsandra, thanks for your quick answer. Some additional questions though.

1. Enabling all these options in Spybot doesn't affect normal web browsing?

2. Spybot functions as well with Firefox as with IE?

3. Can TeaTimer be compared to the Ad-Watch module in Ad-Aware?

4. "Permanent Browser immunity: Similar to JavaCools SpywareBlaster, this allows you to tweak some internal Browser settings to block the installation of known spyware (and similar threats) installers via ActiveX. Spybot-S&D is able to set all entries for those that are in its database to be blocked. If you want to distinguish, you should install SpywareBlaster."

What do you mean with 'if you want to distinguish'? Can I also use both for this (Spybot AND SpywareBlaster), or isn't this recommended?

DrWhoFL
2007-11-11, 18:28
I'm still pretty new to this forum, so I may not be up on all the rules yet.

So I'll ask, "Is it ok to say WOW!!! on this forum?"

OK, at the risk of being set down to the principals office by the teacher, I'll say it anyway.....

WOW!!!

I did a Google search for the latest Beta upgrade, the Halloween edition and downloaded and installed it.
NO Problems! The process went off, smooth as silk.

Every problem I was having, or even thought I was having has been fixed. NO more 40 seconds to load, and no more floppy drive growling at me. The whole program seems to be Fuel Injected and NITRO Boosted.

Someone's been busy.....to get so much into just one upgrade.

Thank Y'all ! (as we say here in the south)

I had incorporated the registry fix to stop the Floppy from being accessed on startup, but under ver .15 it didn't take. (???)
Now under .17, there's no more floppy growling at me when Spybot S&D starts.

Ya just gotta love these guys!

Thanks again,
The Doctor :cool:

Stijnson
2007-11-13, 13:43
Hi Spybotsandra, thanks for your quick answer. Some additional questions though.

1. Enabling all these options in Spybot doesn't affect normal web browsing?

2. Spybot functions as well with Firefox as with IE?

3. Can TeaTimer be compared to the Ad-Watch module in Ad-Aware?

4. "Permanent Browser immunity: Similar to JavaCools SpywareBlaster, this allows you to tweak some internal Browser settings to block the installation of known spyware (and similar threats) installers via ActiveX. Spybot-S&D is able to set all entries for those that are in its database to be blocked. If you want to distinguish, you should install SpywareBlaster."

What do you mean with 'if you want to distinguish'? Can I also use both for this (Spybot AND SpywareBlaster), or isn't this recommended?

Can anyone help me out with these questions? I hope so.

wk357mag
2007-11-13, 14:18
why are these questions being posted in a BETA forum?

spybotsandra
2007-11-13, 14:31
Hello,

1. It should not affect the web browsing. But remain: malicious sites are blocked.

2. It also functions with the Firefox Browser like i already have explained above.

3. It is kind of the same feature.

4. It is not recommendable to run both at the same time as they can interfere with each other.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Stijnson
2007-11-13, 14:37
Thanks for your clear reply and sorry for posting these questions in a BETA forum :red:

alexeyL
2007-11-15, 11:30
I've installed HE over 1.5.1.15+1.5.1.16 patch. Everything seems to be fixed since public 1.5 release except there is NO progress bar in Update window now. Is it a "beta-bug" or a feature? ;-)

wk357mag
2007-11-15, 13:36
Hey Pepi, any chances of us getting another beta soon. Call it the "TurkeyDay Release", though I guess only USA has thanksgiving (aka: Turkey Day)

PepiMK
2007-11-15, 13:45
Thanksgiving is widely spread, e.g. "Erntedank" in German :)
Actually I'm just waiting for some internal feedback on the latest SpybotSD.exe, hope to have that soon so that I could create some full package again tomorrow :)

2007-12-03, 04:57
I am happy to report that all issues have been resolved. thanx very much!! :)

i am one happy person!:present:

2007-12-20, 18:22
in the file shredder for spybot, the one outside of spybot, when right clicking on an icon, folder, etc. there is a useful option to erase using spybot s&d. however, when clicking this option, i receive a resolve link message. apparently there is a link that was not directed for that right click option. idk.

tiger2
2008-07-24, 22:54
Just happened to be doing a search for error code 740 and came upon this thread. I hope someone can answer my question as I am a novice at all of this and I do not know what to do.

I deleted SpyBot 1.5.2 and tried to install 1.6, however, near end of install I got the message:

"Unable to execute file: C:\Program Files\Spy Bot - Search and Destroy\SD Win Sec.exe.
Create Process failed; code 740. The requested operation requires elevation."

What does this mean? Should I now uninstall 1.6 and re-install 1.5.2 which was working fine?
It appears the 1.6 loaded in full.

Please advise soonest.

Alice
(Vista HPsp1 - IE7)

Terminator
2008-07-24, 23:32
Try applying Administator Rights to the Spybot .exe file and then try to install it again.

tiger2
2008-07-24, 23:43
Try applying Administator Rights to the Spybot .exe file and then try to install it again.

Thank you. I am sorry, but I do not know what you mean.
I already installed the 1.6.

drragostea
2008-07-25, 04:27
I think what Terminator was trying to say was to right click the Spybot-SD desktop icon in Vista and click on 'Run as Admin'.

Terminator
2008-07-25, 19:07
I think what Terminator was trying to say was to right click the Spybot-SD desktop icon in Vista and click on 'Run as Admin'.

Thats exactly what I was trying to say:eek:, Thanks drragostea:bigthumb:.

tiger2
2008-07-25, 22:50
Thats exactly what I was trying to say:eek:, Thanks drragostea:bigthumb:.

Thanks everybody. I do understand that I can right-click on the SpyBot Icon (on the desktop) and then select Run as Administrator.

My original question pertained to the notice that I received while the SpyBot 1.6 was downloading and installing. Just before it finished downloading/installing, I got the small pop-up box stating:

"Unable to execute file: C:\Program Files\Spy Bot - Search and Destroy\SD Win Sec.exe.
Create Process failed; code 740. The requested operation requires elevation."

That is what I was concerned about. That was something, I believe, that was supposedly trying to execute during the download/install (I could not right-click on that).
The SpyBot 1.6 appears to have installed correctly/properly, but I was concerned about the notice I received "during" the download/install. What did it mean and if it didn't execute (SD Win Sec.exe) what are the repercussions?
Thanks
Alice

(I posted originally elsewhere prior to seeing this thread, which I thought was concerning that file (SD Win Sec.exe) and it's non-executing.)

drragostea
2008-07-26, 03:27
No problem Terminator :santa:. tiger2, your query was answered in another thread in Spybot forums.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=31464&page=3