PDA

View Full Version : spybot and multi user pcs???

squeakstar
2007-10-09, 22:48
Hi chaps,
can someone please be kind enough to explain how to get spybot to scan all user profiles, or if it actually does, or should?

i installed it today on a vista machine in a domain environment, and when it scanned running under an administrator account it didn't seem to scan any other user profiles. my reason for thinking this, is that in its scan results it only returned a total of two cookies both of which resided in that administrators user profile.

the administrator user profile hardly ever gets used and some mighty web browsing goes on in my general day to day account so i was rather shocked by the results.

if anyone can suggest how to get it to scan all profiles and even better, to a schedule please let me know!

Thanks!

md usa spybot fan
2007-10-10, 01:12
squeakstar:

... can someone please be kind enough to explain how to get spybot to scan all user profiles, or if it actually does, or should?
This is from my experience with Windows XP, not Windows Vista.

Although the entire system is scanned for most malware, due to restrictions in the Microsoft APIs (Application Program Interfaces) used by Spybot, the scan from one account does not include the Internet cache, cookies and some other user specific entries of other accounts (or as you put it "... other user profiles. ...".

To scan Internet cache, cookies and some other user specific entries you must scan from that particular user account.

As far as scheduling, etc., as I indicated, I have no experience with Windows Vista.

squeakstar
2007-10-10, 09:37
is there any anti-spyware app that can scan the other users internet browsing cache and cookies etc then?

this is the only thing letting spybot down really - checking evry user profile on a desktop would be very time consuming, though saying that, if spyware-spyware, ie not cookies and internet cached files, were to be present would/could spyware be hidden in an individuals user profile only anyway?

we have no-one genrally using admin accounts other than admins for admin purposes, though our general users do have power user rights, which i mention incase this also leaves us more vulnerable and likely to collect spyware in a given user profile?

scheduling on xp as an aside, is that possible?

we're still mainly an xp shop, but my personal pc is vistafied, which is what i've been giving spybot a quick guinea pig run on before i put it on "a" live users to see how it goes there...

thanks for your advice!

spybotsandra
2007-10-10, 12:41
Hello,

Do you use Spybot - Search & Destroy in a corporate environment?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

squeakstar
2007-10-10, 16:02
Hello,

Do you use Spybot - Search & Destroy in a corporate environment?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

hi - considering it.

we've got MS Windows Defender and Eset NOD32 running happily alongside each other on our workstations, a regularly updated firewall which has some AV protection/file filtering and website black-listing going on also.

I'm seeing if Spybot on top of that is worth the additional bloat - its nice to be protected and that, but to me a computer isn't a host for an excessive number of anti-malware packages, degrading overall performance and increasing the liklihood of instability and compatibility issues.

So far though with spybot i'm finding that i'm discovering no malware missed by what we're running already, but the only thing i'm finding are dodgey tracking cookies in user profiles, which neither of our current anti-malware are making too much of a fuss about - and i sometimes wonder what the fuss is generally over cookies TBH...

...have you some advice Sandra with regards to Spybot use in a corporate environment? i'm keen to know anything i'm not discovering for myself :bigthumb:

spybotsandra
2007-10-10, 16:06
Hello,

Spybot Search and Destroy is only free for the private use.
The license agreement is available on: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/paragraphs/spybotsd_license1.html

Corporate users need to purchase a license.

Some more information is available on www.safer-networking.ie

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

squeakstar
2007-10-10, 17:24
i feared you were going to be as useful as that... i know it requires a proper licence for proper deployment but i am at the evaluation stage right now.

if you can be nice enough to answer the questions that would get us closer to actually using it officially and deploying it throughout the company, then you get a licence fee - but so far i'm finding spybot is falling short of my expectations and hype/just plain not suitable for a corporate environment, hence i'm on the forums asking questions over whether it can do the kinds of things i want from it and if i can actually get extra protection from the software i'm not getting already!

I repeat... have you some advice with regards to Spybot use in a corporate environment? i'm keen to know anything i'm not discovering for myself!

ok, i didn't know about the proper corporate versions and small business versions available until you posted your link, it doesn't seem well promoted on the site, but do they offer anything beyond the general Spybot version other than managed schedules and centralized defintion updates? like scanning all profiles for crap?

spybotsandra
2007-10-11, 10:17
Hello,

The Spybot S&D Update and Configuration Server will help you to schedule scans at the client machine and monitor the scan results of all clients via email sent by the clients to the admin.
You will also get more informations here:
http://safer-networking.ie/de/products/index.html

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

squeakstar
2007-10-11, 16:14
uh, ok. it still doesn't check all user profiles and has to have tea-timer enabled manually for each user account... :sad: