PDA

View Full Version : Spyboy Bug - May be Caused By Configuration Error X_X

AdemoS
2006-01-20, 04:46
I also sent this bug report to the offical e-mail section for bugs on the spybot webpage, but I just wanted to mirror it here, to cover all bases.
------------------

After reading through this website:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/SecureXP.html

I followed it's directions involving a new note about Spybot: "Update - Spybot by default now ignores certain products such as New.Net and Sidestep for no good reason. New.Net compromises the WinSock stack by routing all your DNS queries through the NewDotNet.DLL. To enable detection go to "Settings", "Ignore products", "All products" Tab, right click on "Product", left-click on "Deselect all". Then run another scan."

However, as soon as I did that, trying to run ANY scan with Spybot would stop before it started and say "User canceled scan" when I had not TOUCHED any key or mouse button...

So I uninstalled Spybot and deleted the Program File directory afterward (to try to get rid of my error in configuration)

But now after reinstalling and updating all my definitions, etc, I go to scan and after less than five seconds it says "Done, no problems found!" or whatever that message usually says in that case...

Considering a scan usually took about 5 minutes or more this is VERY troubling since I depend HEAVILY on Spybot S&D for going above and beyond Ad Aware for my spyware detection needs....

Now whenever windows exhibits a strange error or reaction, I always have to think...is there some kind of spyware doing this? But can't be sure since Spybot no longer functions correctly.

I did not test immunize yet, to see if it will work, fearing the worse from any further use of my obvious screwed-up verison of your software...

Note: I'm running the newest build from download.com of 1.4

I'd be more than happy to be contacted to explain this more in depth, or accept a VNC invitation to take a look at my computer, since this error has me REALLY spooked.

Hope to hear from you as soon as possible,
- AdemoS

EDIT: >__> I just realized my subject line says "Spyboy..." my bad on that typo, I did mean SpyBOT Bug...

md usa spybot fan
2006-01-20, 05:40
But now after reinstalling and updating all my definitions, etc, I go to scan and after less than five seconds it says "Done, no problems found!" or whatever that message usually says in that case...
Exit Spybot-S&D and restart it.

If that does not work see the following:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=7936&postcount=4

AdemoS
2006-01-20, 06:40
o_O Okay...well I'm not sure why, but unchecking ALL filesets, and then right-clicking and selecting spyware (to make sure the correct ones were checked) fixed it compeletly.

Not one to repeat the same mistake, I went back to ignored programs and looked to see if anything was checked, but didn't uncheck anything myself.

For some reason:
2 "Cdilla" entries
1 "Side Step" entry

Were checked to be ignored...Since I had recently re-installed, I can only assume those two are checked by default, but may I ask why? Because I can't see a REASON for them to be ignored, but am far too worried about the program-bug risk of un-ignoring them...

EDIT: Heh, the first scan since I got it working finished found some "Smitfraud-C" and "Windows Security Center Notify"s. Though the latter I know to be no attack, since I myself, turned off the notifying of Security Center, since I had no use for it.

md usa spybot fan
2006-01-20, 06:55
re: Ignored products

See:
Why are CDilla & SideStep checked in Ignore Products?
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=336
In particular tashi's post here:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=1551&postcount=5

AdemoS
2006-01-20, 14:12
Hehe I read through the whole thread, it appears tashi is warm-hearted and posts simple answers, while you post the specific, technical side of the answer. :P

Oh and I got an e-mail reply from a indivuiual named Sandra. So while too late, I did thank her for her ticket-reply-thing. :bigthumb:

EDIT: Belated thanks for all the help man.

tashi
2006-01-20, 16:43
Thank you AdemoS, altogether we make a good team; including our members. :)

Have a great weekend! :greeting:

md usa spybot fan
2006-01-20, 19:36
Hehe I read through the whole thread, it appears tashi is warm-hearted and posts simple answers, while you post the specific, technical side of the answer.
We’re both Libras so it must have something to do with that left and right hemisphere theory.

tashi
2006-01-20, 20:10
We’re both Libras so it must have something to do with that left and right hemisphere theory.
So true! :rotfl:

AdemoS
2006-01-21, 06:01
Thank you AdemoS, altogether we make a good team; including our members. :)

Have a great weekend! :greeting:

Woah the Tash shows up. :P You must have some kind of name-script thing, like some people do on irc, where they're alerted whenever anyone uses their name. :P Or maybe you just checked it for no reason. ;) Have a great weekend too man. :greeting:

Hehe, perhaps. And concidentially...I'm ALSO a libra, I was born October 18th....xD Small world.