PDA

View Full Version : errors while installing that seem to cause defects, possibly from viruses?

jamesta0240
2007-10-12, 06:51
I have screenshots that more easily display the error messages I received while installing Spybot but the file is too large to attach.

While I was installing Spybot, I received the following error messages:

"Error creating registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft...\Browser Helper Objects\{53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F}
RegCreateKeyEx failed; code 5
Access is Denied"

So I had to ignore it, and then another error msg:

"HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SpybotSD.DisabledRFile\shell\open\command
RegCreateKeyEx failed; code 1018
Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion"

So I had to ignore it, and then another error msg:

"HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SpybotSD.SBEFile\shell\open\command
RegCreateKeyEx failed; code 1018
Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion"

The previous msg repeated 3-5 times and I hit ignore every time before it resumed. I am guessing the rest of the error messages were just like the previous one but had some differences in the area after "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT" and before "shell\open\command" but I just had to keep ignoring them anyway.

After I installed it, I noticed an alert from Spybot stating that it had "detected an important registry entry that has been changed." but only the upper half of the buttons to allow or deny the change show. the button with the "?" mark shows as well as the "info" button.

Do you think this is from a virus or something like it that prevents Spybot from installing fully and correctly so that it will make it not operate to its full capability? If so, what can I do about this?

Do you think it could be McAfee Security Center or Ad-Aware 2007 Plus denying these changes? If so, what can I do about this?

WHAT SHOULD I DO ABOUT THIS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.