PDA

View Full Version : Zwax "stuck" during scan

nexuswest
2006-01-20, 13:54
Although I've found several posts re Zwax, I think that I've been observing something slightly different from several - thus am posting anew. While several members posted errors or program failures, I have observed (in current and prior release) that S&D appears "stuck" for very long periods of time on a single Zwax item (out of what would appear from observing the "what's being scanned for now" line to be just one of many Zwax bot threats that S&D scans for). "Very long" can be 10 to 20 minutes, although this time appears related to system load - is less when I shut down all else on my PC. This behavior is unique among the 38,000 odd items being scanned for. None of the other posts that I found provided an explanation of this kind of behavior, although this was among the symptoms reported.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why this same item has been a sticking point for this and prior release? Seems like it's 34177 in v1.4 (working from memory - was a different "number" in v1.3, but that may be a function of the fingerprints file). Was Zwax (or this item) new in 1.3? What is the characteristic of that bot that causes what appears to the user as looping or "stuck" searching behavior on the part of S&D?

Note that S&D is finding no spyware / malware - same for NAV, Spysweeper and Lavasoft. Also I am running Spyware Blaster. All are up to date and all sweep results are "clean" except for the usual low-risk MRU-list class of garbage collection items.

Thanks,

Robert

spybotsandra
2006-01-20, 13:56
Hello,

It is the last item in the spyware section and the program makes a little mistake in changing to the next section.

Please delete the cache of your browser.
This should help.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

nexuswest
2006-01-20, 16:29
Sandra,

Thanks. I have cleared both my IE and Mozilla browser caches. While I wait for the scan to complete to test the solution, I have some questions:

1. as this defect clearly is known, appeared in 1.3 and continues in 1.4, when will it be fixed? I ask because the "looping" behavior consumes as much or more time than the actual scan.

2. will this problem recur on future scans when my cache is not empty? Are there known conditions that put something problematic in the cache? Is it necessary to clear my browser cache before each scan to avoid this problem?

3. if the problem will recur as in #2, which cache is involved (IE or Mozilla or both) ? This may help me minimize impact while awaiting a fix.

4. reporting on test results: the "stuck" now occurs on Zwax item number 34516 of 37115, which is a different number from before. I observed this same recommended solution in another posting, and the member indicated that this did not completely resolve the problem. I concur - problem not fixed, although I don't know how long S&D will remain "stuck" at this new item.

Tx,

Robert

nexuswest
2006-01-21, 02:46
Sandra,

The amount of time that S&D remained stuck on Zwax at the transition point that you indicated is approximately the same *after* clearing the IE and Mozilla caches as it was before. I do not discern any change other than the aforementioned "number" at which the problem manifests.

Please advise on the questions in my prior posting.

Thanks,

Robert

Watrat
2006-01-30, 04:07
Good evening,
Have been having this exact problem for the past several weeks. Have cleared the cache, history, and even cookies from Firefox and IE and it still seems to hang for over an hour at the same Zwax spot. Is there a work around for this issue?

Thanks..am running 1.3 and have tried 1.4

Tom

Topshelf22
2006-03-20, 00:08
You can add me to the "ME TOO" list. I came here looking for the answer to this problem. I just cleared out my cache (utilizing the shredder) and I actually gained a hanging spot. My original SCANS would hang at the last file 36386/36386. Now it hangs a little earlier for about 2-3minutes, then again at the indicated location.

I only have this problem with my Laptop. I have never encountered the problem on previous editions of SBSD. But if others have experienced this, I' have to agree with NEXUSWEST, it makes no sense that a fix hasn't been developed.

Hoping to get this resolved, THANKS and great resource forum!!! You are all doing a fabulous job.

Watrat
2006-03-20, 00:37
Good evening,
I posted before you with the same issue. I resolved it by totally uninstalling the program..rebooted..and installed a fresh version and it seemed to do the trick.

Let us know how it works for you.

Tom

golach
2006-04-19, 11:02
Hello,

It is the last item in the spyware section and the program makes a little mistake in changing to the next section.

Please delete the cache of your browser.
This should help.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

I have deleted the cache of my browser but this does not work ....Help!!!

spybotsandra
2006-04-19, 11:37
Hello,

Which version of Spybot do you run?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

elikyle
2006-05-01, 17:27
Hello, I am using 1.4, and have tried everything mentioned here, including uninstalling and reinstalling spybot itself.
The problem first occurred last week, and I had the previous version at that time. I installed this one, tried everything, and installed again.
Googled Zwax, and found forums (not this one) from quite a while ago dealing with this, but no one had an answer then either.
Everything in my system is clean, clear as possible.

I will stay posted.

what is zwax, anyway. google has random entries like glass antifogger, a username, and this:

ZWAX ist ein vielseitig einsetzbares Nachweisprogramm und bietet folgende Vorteile:
* vielfach eingesetzter und bewährter Bemessungsalgorithmus für die Lösung anspruchsvoller Ingenieuraufgaben
* übersichtliche Arbeitsumgebung und Programmsteuerung mit Grafiken und sensitiven Elementen und Maßketten
* automatische Überlagerung für die extremalen Beanspruchungszustände
* Anwendung der Vorlagentechnik und alternative Dialogeingabe

anyone know german? speaking of german, a translated forum there is talking about something related to this spybot/zwax problem, involving a windows update.

later

md usa spybot fan
2006-05-01, 19:30
Have you added any files/directories to be searched using the "Advanced mode > Settings > Directories" feature?

Observation:

If you have, the scan is time consuming and it appears that the scan of those directories occurs while "ZWax" is still being displayed and before the display changes to "Internet Explorer – various - Tracking Cookie" followed by "Internet Explorer – username - Bookmark".

OrangeXenon54
2006-10-09, 05:27
I'm having the same problem. I saw that it was getting stuck at the same time each time I scanned, and it was at Zwax. I have the newest version with the latest updates, too. Someone help, cause it's really annoying!