PDA

View Full Version : Registry changes

Eigenblog
2007-10-12, 17:47
I`ve downloaded Spybot free from the Computeractive website. I`ve got an HP T3640 desktop with XP Media Centre edition.

As soon as I begn my first scan Spybot reported registry changes and asked if I approve them or not. Registry`s a highly technical subject which non-expert users are warned off. Changes from what ? Presumably from the standard XP Media Centre edition. Do I accept them or deny them ? This very clever guy who generously lets us have his free edition doesn`t offer an email address.

I haven`t seen ( as usual ) anything relevant in the FAQs. I think my queries are too elementary. Can anyone help ?

Eigenblog

md usa spybot fan
2007-10-12, 18:21
Eigenblog:

I believe that the messages you are referring are coming from TeaTimer which a separate feature and not part of Spybot's scan and fix facility.

TeaTimer is an active protection that monitors changes to certain system Registry keys such as System Startup, ActiveX Distribution Unit, Browser page and Browser Helper Object, etc. When any change is detected to these Registry keys a pop-up dialog is issued asking you to allow or deny the change and if you want TeaTimer to remember the decision. TeaTimer also monitors processes that are initiated in the system. If the process being initiated matches a list of processes in Spybot's detection files, the process is terminated and a dialog is issued to notify you and allow you to make choices as to how to handle the same process during future detections.

Without the full content of the message you received, I can't advise you as to whether or not to accept or deny a particular change.

If you do not want to deal with these registry changes or would like to turn the feature off until you have a better handle these registry changes, you can disable TeaTimer as follows:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
Uncheck the following:Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Eigenblog
2007-10-17, 12:50
Thanks for swift and plain-English reply, md usa spybot fan. I shall disable TeaTimer according to your clear instructions.

Eigenblog

Other topic: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=128017