PDA

View Full Version : Dso exploit

sm24270
2005-10-20, 20:13
Hi!
Having run spybot for the first time I am now being plagued by pop ups
"The best Buy" originating via dso exploit.
Spybot recognises dso exploit as the problem, 5 entries, kind registry change.
I have now fixed this problem several times and within seconds "The best buy" pop ups start appearing, as I type yet another one!!!!
PLease! advise fix for this asap.
NB; all pop up blocking measures seem to be activated.
System Windows XP, Browser Mozilla Firefox.
Thanx sm24270

Spybotnorma
2005-10-21, 14:06
DSO-Exploit is a security gap in Internet Explorer, Outlook and Outlook Express. Microsoft did already close this gap with security updates, so with current Windows updates and patches installed, it will no longer be a threat to your system. Spybot-S&D will still detect the DSO-Exploit, but instead of fixing it for good, it will unfortunately again set an invalid value. Therefore it will again be found with every scan. This little bug in Spybot-S&D has already been repaired. Please download our new version Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4. That should fix it.
You will find links to several download locations for this new version on our web site:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
Please search for new updates after installing Spybot S&D 1.4.

Some users have reported that it still won't be fixed. That can happen if you run another security software (like Microsoft AntiSpyware) or if you do not have admin rights.

If this is not the problem please e-mail back to software@spybot.info. It is important to know if it is found once or more times and if you tried to fix it. If you tried to fix it please let us know if you get any message that it couldn't be fixed. So please attach a bug report to your e-mail.

Notice: You can also exclude the DSO Exploit from the search.
(At first you do a scan with Spybot - Search & Destroy. Then you mark the item, you want to exclude from the search, with a left-click.
It is marked in blue now. Then you can right-click this entry and select "exclude this product from further searches".
It is also possible to exclude it before the search. Please run Spybot - Search & Destroy in "Advanced Mode" and go to "Settings" -> "Ignore products". There you can tick the checkbox in front of the product you want to exclude from the search.)

:)

Lardzor
2005-10-21, 23:31
If the only anti-spyware/adware software you have installed is Spybot S&D, then you might want to consider tying a different one. When I was infected with "look2me" which also brings up tons of popups, Spybot missed it completely even with definitions updated. When I used SpySweeper (trial version) I was able to clean it.