PDA

View Full Version : Can't delete Internet Shortcut in the history>search toolbar. what could this be?

infinate66
2006-01-20, 18:08
I recently did a google search and when I entered one of the websites a prompt script download appeared, worried about what it was doing I unplugged the computer and rebooted. I started up IE and when I entered the search menu under the history toolbar the internet shortcut "what I searched" - google search could not be deleted I even ran countless history cleaners and yet it was the only thing that remained in the history toolbar under the search menu. I was wondering if anyone could help me with this dilemma?? Have tried many things, it still won't go away. My mother constantly checks my comp. and I need to get rid of this. when I check the properties on it, it shows Last Visited: none & Times Visited: 0 .

Is there any other way to get rid of this besides
history cleaners?

The extensive history cache is the only thing saving
me.

Rosenfeld
2006-01-21, 00:28
Sorry, misunderstood.

tashi
2006-01-21, 01:05
Hello infinate66
Is this your topic here posted 01-03-2006.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/windows-xp/83763-cannot-delete-history-item-computer.html#post431336

sabrinaa
2006-03-11, 15:27
I am having the same problem. Go into internet options & clear history, temp internet & cookies. Then go into history toobar & view by site, by most visted etc. & each result is clear. However if click search option and insert just 1 letter eg an "a" up pops a list of 8 webpages I've visted at different times in the past. Rightclick on any of them & click properties & they are stated to be internet shortcuts. Rightclick delete & they just wont go. Anyone know how they got embedded & how to get rid of them. Alternatively I dont use the search function, anyone know how to disable it.

md usa spybot fan
2006-03-11, 15:42
In Internet Explorer the Internet History and Typed URLs are stored separately. Typed URLs are stored in the system registry.

To clear Typed URLs try the following:

Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > File Sets. Check the last two Items (Usage Tracking and Tracks.uti) and run a scan (Check for problems). When the scan completes there should be a Green item listed "Internet explorer". Expand that item by clicking on the plus sign (+) in front of the item. Look for and check "Typed URL list" (there may be more than one if you have multiple users on the system). Then do a "Fix selected problems".

Note: If you want to do this quickly without going through an entire spyware scan, you can right click on the File Sets and choose "Usage tracks check only" and the check will be limited. If you do this however, you must remember to go back into Spybot > Settings > File Sets after the scan and check all the spyware checks again or right click and select "Select all available check" or "Spyware check only" (which is the default).

kisaku_blade1
2006-03-22, 21:05
:mad: yeah i have the same problem, exept its an altavista search. I acually typed in "how do i get rid of my internet history from the toolbar" into a google search and this website link came up, and it came to this forum.

abdullah
2006-07-23, 22:16
I am having the same issue on my friends computer. I tried doing exactly what md usa spybot fan suggested but if you go to Ctrl-H(History)> Search> enter a letter, the entries still appear. Are there any other suggestions?

md usa spybot fan
2006-07-23, 22:59
abdullah:

My instructions were for cleaning up Typed URLs (which seemed to be sabrinaa (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=4776)'s problem) not dealing with normal Internet Explorer history (which sabrinaa (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=4776) indicated had been cleared).

In Internet Explorer the Internet History and Typed URLs are stored separately.
Go into Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > General tab > in the History section decide how many days you want to keep (if any), enter that value in "Days to keep pages in history:" then click "Clear History". Thereafter all browsing history older that the value set in "Days to keep pages in history:" will be deleted automatically.

abdullah
2006-07-23, 23:41
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that too and it doesn't work. I don't mean to be a pest, but should I try a specific product or different forum? Thanks again.

LonnyRJones
2006-07-24, 07:18
SpyBot advanced mode > tools > secure schredder
templates > add internet explorer cache file's

abdullah
2006-07-24, 07:51
Thanks for the help md usa spybot fan & LonnyRJones. I tried the secure shredder (as suggested by LonnyRJones) and it worked. :bigthumb: I don't think my friend will let her younger brothers use her computer again after this experience. But I definitely won some praise from her; with your help of course. :D