PDA

View Full Version : Not able to run HijackThis, Massive computer problems

danger3s
2007-10-17, 17:55
Hi guys,

I'm learning to find that my friend's laptop has various problems that I believe infected by too many viruses. It is running on windows xp.

Here are the symptoms;

1. Task manager, regedit, folder options all are disabled

2. When using firefox/IE and do a search for following keywords, it will shut down instantly : antivirus, task manager, regedit, kaspersky, norton, spybot, MSVBVM60.DLL , computer virus etc

3. Tried to run Hjt but gets MSVBVM60.DLL error, downloaded the vbrun60sp3 as suggested in their website but still failed.

4. Antivirus program (kaspersky) stuck/cannot be opened.

5. Slow run

6. Very slow start-up

I'd be glad if anyone could possibly know the remedy for this or at least make Hijack This work so I can post the scan log.
Many Thanks!

Blade81
2007-10-18, 15:10
Hi

Have you tried getting hjt log in safe mode? You could also try renaming HijackThis.exe (not the desktop shortcut) -> whatever.exe to see if it makes any difference.

danger3s
2007-10-19, 11:06
Hi,

Tried to run in safe mode & change name but both dont work. Still get the error. Thanks

Blade81
2007-10-19, 20:52
Hi

Let's see if you can get Silentrunners work.

Make a new folder in the c:\drive called silentrunners
Download 'silent runners" from here (right click over the link & save as):
http://www.silentrunners.org/Silent%20Runners.vbs
Save it to your silentrunners folder.
Click start> run> type cmd and hit enter
Type the following exactly and hit enter after each line.
cd c:\silentrunners and hit enter
"silent runners.vbs" -all and hit enter
wait until it pops up saying its completed.

Please upload log to http://rapidshare.com and post back a link to it since log will be big and won't most likely fit in one post.

tashi
2007-10-29, 17:51
This topic has been archived due to lack of a response.

If you need it re-opened, please send me a private message (pm) and provide a link to the thread.

Applies only to the original poster, anyone else with similar problems please start a new topic.