PDA

View Full Version : Command Line Switches for SDUpdate.exe

MrGreg
2007-10-18, 09:53
Hi everyone,

I currently run a weekly scheduled task to update my definition files. I have been using the following command.

SpybotSD.exe /taskbarhide /autoupdate /autoclose

I see that 1.5 now has a new module called SDupdate.exe.
Can I switch my update task to use the new SDupdate.exe?
If so then what are the command line switches?
I would also like to no which update site will be used by default?
I also notice a program called Update.exe what is this for?

Thanks for your support...

md usa spybot fan
2007-10-18, 13:10
The following seems to work on my Windors XP Home system:

"C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDUpdate.exe" /taskbarhide /autoupdate /autoclose

PepiMK
2007-10-18, 13:25
Good point, the help should be updated there. I just checked which parameters are implemented:

/taskbarhide - no dialogs etc.
/autoupdate - searches & downloads updates
/search - only search for updates on startup
/autoclose - close after finishing updates
/createenglish - updates the english language fileUpdate.exe is only a helper that moves files around (SDUpdate.exe could not replace itself if it was updated, so control has to given to a small helper for that purpose - update.exe).

There is no default server by default :D By default, a random server will be picked. You can right-click one manually to open the context menu, then set it to be your preferred server if you wish.

MrGreg
2007-10-18, 17:11
Thanks md usa spybotfan and PepiMK,

I have just tried the following command.

SDUpdate.exe /taskbarhide /autoupdate /autoclose

The command completed successfully and downloaded the latest updates. However the /taskbarhide does not appear to work correctly. It does eliminate the updater windows and prompting but a taskbar icon is still created and present during the update process. Definately not a show stopper but this should be corrected.

Any idea when the official update will be available that corrects the slow startup problem? I realize that 1.5.1.16 beta patch fixes this problem. I have several clients that are running the product and I want to wait for the official patch to update them.

Thanks for your support.

dbennett
2008-01-08, 08:20
Hmm... I have a Kaseya script setup to run the command

C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDUpdate.exe /taskbarhide /autoupdate /autoclose

As noted, the task item comes up on the task bar, however, in my case, it doesn't go away at all. It doesn't matter whether I have this running in the local user context, or as SYSTEM.

My GUESS is that the problem is that it's sitting at a prompt of some sort, possibly the one where it asks if you want to include beta updates. Not sure, as there is no way to click on the item on the task bar and open it up to see what's happening.

Any way to troubleshoot this via a log entry?

Looks like if I leave off the /taskbarhide switch, it works. But it only works when a user session is logged on. So I can't have the script run when a machine is at a logon prompt. I'm stuck.

PepiMK
2008-01-08, 09:35
Thanks!

Add new issue to the project tracker: Updater: hanging at prompt when run hidden (http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=173)