PDA

View Full Version : does resident sheild automatically work with firefox ?

evolutionbanjo
2007-10-19, 21:53
when i look at the sytem trey icon, it gives options pertaining to resident protect IE.

IE = internet explorer.

it doesnt have any options for firefox.
do i need to manually turn the resident off of IE and set it to work with firefox ?
or is it already working with firefox ?

i never use IE. i use firefox, and rarly opera.

md usa spybot fan
2007-10-19, 22:26
There are two resident protective features available in Spybot:
Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker).
Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings).
The Resident "SDHelper" only works with Internet Explorer but "TeaTimer" protects more than just Internet Explorer.

Please read the following:
How Spybot-S&D protects against the installation of Spyware/Malware
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281
Added with edit:

And please stop jumping from thread to thread.

evolutionbanjo
2007-10-19, 22:51
1)does teatimer do for firefox the same things SDhelper does for IE?

2)does teatimer give firefox the same security SDhelper does for IE.

3)why does firefox NOT have its own sdhelper?

teatimer = registry monitor and process monitor, i thought.

thanks for the info and responce.
sorry for "jumping threads".
i ddient mean to make to many threads,
but i saw this inquiry off topic and extra confusion if i added it to my other thread, although i do see the relation, and this info does help answer some aspects of that post =)

md usa spybot fan
2007-10-19, 23:40
No.
No.
Resident "SDHelper" is written as a Browser Helper Object (BHO) and Firefox does not have a comparable facility. Some people think that be able to add BHOs to Firefox makes Firefox more secure than Internet Explorer, but in this case it makes it more difficult to protect the browser in the same way.

teatimer = registry monitor and process monitor, i thought.
Correct, but! TeaTimer was not designed to protect Internet Explorer more than Firefox, however as I attempted to indicate in the quote I provided in one of your other threads (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=19236), but in reality it actually does:

... TeaTimer is an active protection that monitors changes to certain system Registry keys such as System Startup, ActiveX Distribution Unit, Browser page and Browser Helper Object, etc. When any change is detected to these Registry keys a pop-up dialog is issued asking you to allow or deny the change and if you want TeaTimer to remember the decision. TeaTimer also monitors processes that are initiated in the system. If the process being initiated matches a list of processes in Spybot's detection files, the process is terminated and a dialog is issued to notify you and allow you to make choices as to how to handle the same process during future detections.
Some of the registry entries that TeaTimer monitors are only applicable to Internet Explorer such as ActiveX Distribution Units, Browser pages and Browser Helper Objects, etc. These particular registry entries are not applicable to Firefox or other browsers.

evolutionbanjo
2007-10-20, 01:09
thanks!!
im moving all future inquries back to my original post,
here:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=128809#post128809