PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to 1.4 & TeaTimer question

godawgs
2006-01-21, 20:44
I want to upgrade from SpyBot v1.3 to v1.4. I read in a post, I think before I uninstalled the version prior to 1.3 that I should do the following before uninstalling:
1.Go into Spybot > Immunize
Click "Undo" button (at the top)
Uncheck (if checked) the following:"Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internet Explorer"

2.Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident
Uncheck (if checked) the following:
Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

3.Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Hosts file
Click the "Remove Spybot S&D hosts list" button (at the top)

Do I still need to do those things or do I just need to follow the "How to Uninstall" instructions on the FAQ page?

ALSO:
I get this TeaTimer popup twice everytime I turn the computer on.(Because under version1.3 I wouldn't allow the change and wouldn't check the remember this decision box.
Catagory:Browser menu extension
Change: Valu Added
Entry: Refresh Page with Full Quality

I think this is bacause I have a web accelerator program that loads web images at less than full quality, but I'm not sure that's what causes it.
Should I allow this type of change or deny it?
Thanks!

md usa spybot fan
2006-01-21, 21:19
Most people just following the "How to Uninstall" instructions, but steps 1-3 look good to me. In fact they look similar to my personal recommendations here:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=3130&postcount=2

Please be aware that there is a bug in the pop-up dialog of the registry change monitor function of TeaTimer in 1.4. Portions of TeaTimer's popup dialog overlay the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons. On my system the very top edges of the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are showing and I am still able to select the options. I also can check "Remember this decision" since it is visible. If no portion of the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are showing, you can answer TeaTimer's popup dialog (English language version) by pressing "A" on your keyboard for "Allow change" or "D" for "Deny change". If you close the dialog without answering "Allow change" or "Deny change" the registry change is denied. Note that if you close the popup dialog without answering it the registry change will be denied.

If you can't deal with the problem that way until it is fixed, you can:
Apply one of the workarounds found in the following pinned (Sticky) thread that fixes the pop-up dialog so the buttons are visible:
Solution to fix the pop-ups in TeaTimer
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=122
Disable TeaTimer as follows:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
Uncheck the following:Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

I get this TeaTimer popup twice everytime I turn the computer on.(Because under version1.3 I wouldn't allow the change and wouldn't check the remember this decision box. …
This may be explained by the following:
TeaTimer takes snapshots of Registry entries and compares these with the Registry at startup. Until these snapshots are updated you are likely to get pop-ups (at startup) of changes you made in the past. In other words, TeaTimer attempts to return the Registry to the state it was in when the snapshot was taken. This happens primarily when you reboot the system. To refresh TeaTimer's snapshot files:
Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
TeaTimer closes.
TeaTimer's snapshot files are refreshed at this time.

Restart TeaTimer:
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.

godawgs
2006-01-22, 04:41
Thanks for the reply md usa.
As for the teatimer changes:
Wouldn't it be easier to just deny the change and check the remember this decision box in ver1.4?
Thanks for the help.