PDA

View Full Version : How to get administrator permission with Vista?

ZoneIII
2007-10-24, 07:29
My XP machine crashed today and I ran out and bought a Vista machine. One of the first things I did was load up Spybot but I found that I can't remove things from Startup with it. I get a message saying that I would have to elevate to administrator permission to do it. I did find the "fix" in the Spybot help files for this but it doesn't work. (Right-clicking on the program from the Start menu and clicking "Run as Administrator." How can I remove things from Startup with Vista?

Thanks

Zenobia
2007-10-24, 10:41
What happened after you rightclicked Spybot and chose Run as Administrator,did User Account Control pop up?Did you get prompted for an administrator password or anything like that?

ZoneIII
2007-10-25, 00:45
Nothing happened. I just found out that I can't Immunize either. I get the same message saying that I have to elevate to administrator. I am the administrator. I never had a problem like this with SpyBot used with XP.

ZoneIII
2007-10-25, 00:51
I see that when I start the program by right-clicking and running it as administrator, I can immunize. But I can't delete anything from startup. When I try to do so, I get the message saying that I should elevate to administrator even though I ran the program as administrator and I am the administrator anyway. I want to find a way to use SpyBot for removing Startup programs because it has always been such a good tool for doing that and my new Vista system had just about every program you can think of in Startup.

Zenobia
2007-10-25, 07:48
This page explains User Account Control:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/0eeb9ddd-ddaa-4cc5-a092-9908305665471033.mspx

That doesn't happen with mine.After rightclicking Spybot and choosing Run as Administrator,I can disable or delete startup items,on both an Administrator and Standard account,and as far as I know,you should be able to delete startup items after you've rightclicked Spybot and chosen Run As Administrator.I'll look in the tracking forum,and see if anything similar is posted there.

Zenobia
2007-10-25, 09:03
I didn't see anything similar in there.
This is a head scratcher. :blink:
I have no idea if this would affect Spybot this way after it's installed,but were you prompted to run the Spybot installer as administrator when installing?

ZoneIII
2007-11-04, 06:36
I'm sorry for being so late in responding to your question. I disabled UAC and had forgotten about this thread. But now I am wondering whether I should let UAC run.

Anwyay, yes, I did install Spybot as an administrator. I don't actually remember doing that specifically but I know I did because Spybot was one of the first applications I installed on my new PC when I got it setup. At that time, I didn't know what UAC was but I was getting all it's popups asking to elevate things. I am running some long scans as I write this so I don't want to enable UAC at this moment and re-boot but I am going to turn it back on tomorrow and try running Spybot as administrator again and try to delete a Startup item. It didn't work previously, though, but, as I mentioned above, I could immunize when I ran SpyBot as administrator. I'll post what happens when I do it. Thanks much.

ZoneIII
2007-11-04, 17:15
Follow-up: I re-enabled UAC and now I can remove programs from Startup with S&D. For some reason it wouldn't work before or maybe I just did something wrong. Thanks much!

Zenobia
2007-11-04, 19:25
You're welcome,glad you got it working. :)