PDA

View Full Version : Multiple "Delete on Re-Start" Attempts for SchedLgU.txt, But This Option Not Chosen

Perplexed34
2007-10-25, 11:38
How can I have items #1 and #2 below never occur so I do not need to ignore SchedLgU.txt during a scan?

I'm using spybot version 1.5.1.17, Windows 2000 Professional.

1. When prompted after a scan, I never chose the option to "delete on Re-Start" after a scan, such as with the SchedLgU.txt (FAQ #6, that I am already familiar with), but a delete attempt continues to exist on restart for the SchedLgU.txt file. Note that I did not choose to "delete on restart". I'd expect such a delete attempt on restart if (if) I chose "Yes" to "delete on restart", except I chose "No" (I did not choose "Yes").

2. Not only does item #1 (a delete attempt on the system restart for SchedLgU.txt) continue to occur, in version 1.5.1.17, it occurred around 25 or 50 consecutive times within a fraction of a second after each other -- one after another, like a virus or something, with multiple DOS pop-up window occurring with various verbiage in them (regarding the "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDDelFile.exe" "C:\WINNT\SchedLgU.Txt") but it's not a virus; it's just the "delete on restart" schedule - even though I chose to Not (not) delete on restart.

3. While I have subsequently told Spybot to ignore the SchedLgU.txt file, I never had to use this ignoring feature before, as long as I chose to not "delete on restart" such as with version 1.4, yet I'm using version 1.5.1.17.

How can I have items #1 and #2 below never occur so I do not need to ignore SchedLgU.txt during a scan?

PepiMK
2007-10-26, 13:26
1. The "delete on restart" always happens automatically, are you mistaking it for the "scan again on restart" option?
If so, the question to "delete on restart" would be a new feature request I guess. It also complicates things for the regular user though (another dialog to answer), so we would need to thing on how this could be implemented best.

2. Since you spoke about DOS windows (or better "command line windows"), is this something that happened on reboot, not while you attempted to fix?
A command line window isn't a good choice, I agree... if sheduled to run on system start, it should do it's job silently in the background, and that's it. I've made some notes on how to improve SDDelFile.exe, and with some luck (well, luck to find free time to code), this delete-on-reboot thing will be much improved into a different direction soon anyway :)

3. Version 1.4 did also do the "delete on restart" automatically. Have you used the TeaTimer with version 1.4 as well? Also, 1.5.1.17 has this new SDDelFile.exe, which allows TeaTimer to automatically accept the "delete on restart" entry (because SDDelFile.exe is properly codesigned with a trusted signature) - actually 1.4 with TeaTimer should have been more annoying there (I think).

Perplexed34
2007-10-27, 12:55
You are technically correct, in that it was the “scan again on restart", not the "delete on restart", that I always answer “No” to when prompted after “Fixing Selected problems”. However, the “delete on restart” (or more precisely “Run Once’ On Start Up” for SpybotDeleteingF785, for example) for C:\WINNT\SchedLgU.Txt does exist in the Spybot System Startup list which when logging in again causes these multiple command line windows, which also exists, but not always for some reason, in a separate Startup Control Panel I use to view running or Run Once files, etc.

To answer your question, the DOS windows (or better "command line windows") appears immediately after logging in (not before logging in during system startup), and before any other programs get loaded. I have a screen shot of it, but I imagine that you know what I’m referring.

Also, you are correct that version 1.4 did the same thing (I misstated in my initial inquiry as I said it only occurred with version 1.5.1.17; it was misstated since the problem of 25 or 50 “command line windows” sequentially occurring was new for 1.5.1.17, where with version 1.4 I only got a few command line windows after logging in again.

Also, I have never used Teatimer, since while using earlier versions (maybe version 1.4, but I cannot remember) it was a PITA (pain in the arche) with the numerous prompts when something changed when I temporarily tried this feature on another computer (it was a Win98 at the time, if I recall), and the user needed to not be bothered with questions by Teatimer at the time since its really confusing for some new computer users.

Well, it sounds as if there’s no resolution for now, and so if the above issue becomes a pain for me, I’ll just omit SchedLgU.Txt from the scan (FAQ #6 in the Help menu), and wait for a subsequent version that might have this file-deletion “silently in the background” for SDDelFile.exe, as you referred.

[In case there is a related issue, the other problem in another post of mine http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=130260#post130260 is where Spybot version 1.5.1.17 program (not version 1.4) closes immediately when deleting "MS Office 9.0, Recently Used Files" usage track, but not with other scanned that was item; this other problem does not exist with version 1.4]

Franks (Thanks).