PDA

View Full Version : SS&D Japanese version - Resident balloon

pwillener
2007-10-27, 10:56
Unlike earlier versions, the Resident's balloon pop-up now displays properly Japanese. However, the second line from top is nearly invisible - just the top two pixels display. (See attachment.)

Is it possible to fix this?

pwillener
2007-10-27, 11:58
P.S. most likely the problem is caused by the first line wrapping.

PepiMK
2007-10-27, 13:52
Hmmmm if I remember correctly, the Japanese language file specifies a slightly larger font size, that may cause the missing space for the second line.

One idea that would not fix it, but work around it more or less, is that I was looking at the standard Windows notification that usually appears in the same area. It's not available on all Windows versions, so it would only be an alternative, but on modern Windows versions it would better 'fit in', and automatically resize depending on the content.

So, current workarounds would be to reset the Japanese font size to the standard size, or choose a sligthly shorter text for the first line (so that it wouldn't wrap, moving the second to the third). Another thing might be that I add something to update the window size relative to the font size, so that if a larger font is used, the window width at least would be scaled by that factor (9 8th).

pwillener
2007-10-28, 07:12
Making the font size smaller might cure the problem. However, Japanese messages tend to be longer than alphabetic messages - due to the larger size characters. I think you just might to have to experiment.

On the other hand, a smaller font size may render some kanji characters near-unreadable.

I am willing to test it for you if you don't have Japanese Windows for testing.

P.S. I am using Windows XP-SP2.