PDA

View Full Version : Spybot 1.5 on its own Blacklist in Win95

jcos00
2007-10-27, 23:41
Help! I am working with a friend's senior citizen parent who is using Windows 95 (and doesn't want to update!).

Spybot 1.3 stopped updating and I turned him to v1.4 not knowing it didn't work on 95. I have since put v1.5 on his machine, but there are issues.

I uninstalled Spybot 1.4. I installed 1.5. The 1.5 installer refused to complete until I uninstalled 1.4 first. That done (including the necessary Windows update), Spybot came up, all downloads were completed and immunization was completed. Nice new interface by the way.

On restart of the Windows 95 machine, Teatimer runs. It can be seen in the System Tray. SpyBot refuses to open the user interface when it is called (double-clicking icon on desktop). Under Task Manager the Spybot exe is running after clicking the icon, but no user interface comes up. Without the user interface, I can't get to Search and Destroy to run a check, nor can I get to the update or immunization windows.

I don't know if this is the issue, or if there is something else going on, but he got the error message that Spybot SD is blacklisted by TeaTimer. There is nothing in the Blacklist.

There is nothing else running on the machine, not even a screen saver, so it can't be a RAM/memory issue, nor a conflicting application -- unless it's conflicting with itself which it may well be according to the error he received.

Help. I need to be able to get to the user interface to keep his machine safe. Has anyone else experienced this in this "Windows 95 compatible" update? How do I get the running program (according to taskmanager) to display the interface so the program can be maintained, etc.?

Thanks in advance,
Jcos00

Zenobia
2007-10-28, 04:03
Try rightclicking teatimer,and selecting Show log.Go to the bottom of it,and highlight about 30 or 40 lines up,and copy and paste it here.That should be enough to show the teatimer message they are getting.

reelsman
2007-10-28, 04:04
The current production version of S&D 1.5.1 has a known bug that causes the program to load VERY slowly on older machines. Authors are beta-testing a version that fixes this and other known problems. If you need a hurry-up fix for your problems, you can download and install this beta version from this forum. I am running an alpha-test version on Windows 95, and I can assure you the problem you describe has been fixed in alpha- and beta- test versions.

jcos00
2007-10-30, 08:52
Thanks for the quick replies. I'll check the log as suggested. The delay in responding came from the fact that I emailed the person to see if he was game to try either the alpha or beta version mentioned. I just got word that he'd be up for it.

I just need to know where to download the latest test version of Spybot that you mentioned. I clicked the "download" link at the top right of the forum window, but got the for-market version. Can you lry me know how to get to the beta so I can download it?

spybotsandra
2007-10-30, 10:10
Hello,

Here is the download file for the new Spybot beta:
http://www.safer-networking.org/files/beta/spybotsd15he-beta1.exe

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot