PDA

View Full Version : undertonenetworks pop-under ad

mdouth
2005-11-03, 04:33
I have started to receive a very annoying pop-under ad titled "undertonenetworks.com" on the homepage we frequent xww.dallasnews.com[/url] ...is this spyware? Our browser is Mozilla Firefox. Your product is great, especially with this browser. This is the only pop-under or pop-up ad that we receive. Any way to eliminate it?

Thanks-
Mike

Disabled url.

tashi
2005-11-03, 06:04
Hello mdouth and welcome.

Undertone Networks>Premium Advertising Network>ValueClick Media.

As Spybot-S&D does target ValueClick, it would be helpful to see a log and spot where exactly Undertone Networks is on the system.

Open SpyBot, check for and get any updates available, close all browsers, check for problems and fix everything found. Then on the toolbar menu select mode and switch to advanced mode, on the left lower down select tools, and view report, ensure all the options are selected near the bottom except (Spybot version 1.4)

Uncheck[ ] do not report disabled or known legitimate Items.
uncheck[ ] Include a list of services in report.
Uncheck[ ] Include uninstall list in report.

Now select (near the top) view report.
Press export in the save in box choose a place such as your my documents folder, then in your next post near the bottom select the "browse" button; navigate to and attach or post that report please.

Thanks.

mdouth
2005-11-03, 08:58
Thank you for your reply. Here is the attached report for one computer...

Not sure if this matters...I just updated my Mozilla Firefox browser and now the pop-under window says "hxxp://c1.zedo.com-UnderNetworks.com" .

You may want to try going to xxw.dallasnews.com . The pop-ups/unders are rampant. Spybot catches them all, except for this one.

Is it safe to post this report on this forum? Just wondering.

Thank you-
Mike
Url disabled.

LonnyRJones
2005-11-03, 15:23
Hi

In windows addremove programs uninstall SpyBot then Restart the PC, and delete SpyBots folder in program files,
usualy > C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
Then download and install 1.4 once thats done, check for updates, then check for problems, fix everything found, always reboot if SpyBots needs to, to finish the cleanup.
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=tutorial
Download found here
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

Now let us know of any problems please

mdouth
2005-11-03, 18:35
Sorry about the edits...thought that I had made a mistake in my typing.

Thank you LonnyRJones for the suggestions. The hxxp://c1.zedo.com-UnderNetworks.com is still showing up, but, only when I am on the dallasnews.com website. (Unfortunately, this is where I go to read our local news.) I uninstalled, downloaded Spybot 1.4, got updates, checked system , re-booted, then, checked system again. The current report turned out to be quite large. Hope its okay to upload this zip file. Tell me if you would prefer to see it another way.

Thank you for your assistance-
Mike

LonnyRJones
2005-11-03, 18:56
Good to see the current version is installed.

You do realize SpyBot is not a popup blocker and popups are common at certain sites ?

Try adding whatever address the popups are from to internet explorers restriced zones, and find a popup blocker program. google's toolbar includes one, its what i use.

You can do basicly the same thing with other browsers

mdouth
2005-11-03, 23:50
Good to see the current version is installed.

You do realize SpyBot is not a popup blocker and popups are common at certain sites ?

Yes, just concerned that this was spyware since it was so rampant. I appreciate your help.

Best Regards-
Mike

bubba
2005-11-04, 02:02
Yes, just concerned that this was spyware since it was so rampantAs with most pop-ups\unders....those zedo\undertonenetworks ads @ dallasnews.com are being delivered via simple .js(script) files. Disabling Active script in IE will halt all of that noise. Of course YMMV and it might cause you surfing discomfort.

bitman
2005-11-04, 04:42
To extend bubba's idea a bit further, I tried the dallasnews.com site after adding it to the IE Restricted Sites. This supresses several things in addition to the Active Script, but only affects the one site instead of all sites. It seems to work ok and blocked both the initial survey pop-up and the banner advertisements, though the pages look a bit different.

To give this a try, click 'Tools' on the menu bar above and select Internet Options, click the Security Tab, then Restricted Sites and finally the Sites button just below. In the Restricted Sites dialog box enter dallasnews.com, click the Add button, then OK to close both Dialog boxes and aaccept the new site.

Now most undesired effects should be blocked, though this will also affect the saving of customizations and possibly other things. To remove the Restricted Site item, just repeat the above, find and highlight the dallasnews.com entry in the Web sites list and click Remove.

ih8bills
2005-11-04, 04:49
There are also many free popup blockers out there that allow you to keep your functionality --without puttin up with the garbage...:D

mdouth
2005-11-05, 00:17
Thanks bubba for the suggestion. Bitman...thanks for trying out that site. What a pain it is, but, the way I get the local news and columnists. I appreciate the detailed instructions.

Best regards,
Mike