PDA

View Full Version : Please help - nothing works!!

PCNovice
2007-11-14, 18:14
Hi, I'm trying to fix my daughter's laptop, but nothing seems to work. She is no longer the administrator because a new user account appeared - and yes it named itself Administrator. Machine will automatically load to the black, safemode menu screen and if you select "start normally" it will just loop back to that screen - turning off and on in the process. Safemode selection was freezing, but it finally started working. I cannot access task manager, device manger, add/remove programs or the Internet. I ran msconfig, most things are disabled and cannot be enabled. I can't download anything or even if I try to install from a CD it either won't completely install or it won't do it at all. I tried to install Spybot - and others - even on her D drive - with no luck. I get message from Windows Installer - "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation." Also get NSIS Error -"The Installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete. This could be the result of a damaged disk, a failed download or a virus." I tried "run as..." but it wouldn't allow it, saying "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it." It also won't allow any restore points or her restore cds. She had previously downloaded antivirus and antispyware on her laptop, so I tried those. The latter showed things like SmitFraud.G, TrojanThun, AproposMedia, Win32.TrojanClick.Spywad.b, etc. - but the program wouldn't remove this stuff, it wants me to go to the Internet first - which I can't. I've tried different suggestions from a lot of websites, but everything failed, including gpedit.msc, saying "Windows cannot find gpedit.msc. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again." What can be done in a situation like this? I'm stumped.

tashi
2007-11-20, 20:19
Hello.

She is no longer the administrator because a new user account appeared - and yes it named itself Administrator.
Sounds like a bad situation, if the machine is being controlled by someone else

You didn't say what the operating system is. If you cannot produce a HJT log for analysis, there is not much advice anyone can offer. Have you considered a reformat?

Do you have topics at the sites where you followed suggestions, if so please provide links.

Best regards.

PCNovice
2007-11-21, 05:30
Hello,

My daughter's OS is Windows XP Home w/ SP2. Her restore cds are finally working, but machine won't allow copying to disc - keeps telling me to insert a writable cd even though one's in the drive. I guess her docs that are not already backedup can be printed, assuming machine will allow her to print once she brings her printer to me. Her laptop has a D drive, can her files be copied there without being erased if I use her restore cds?

tashi
2007-11-21, 06:22
Hello.

I will ask if any of our helpers can advise you on the hardware/ software issues.

You missed this question:
Do you have topics at the sites where you followed suggestions, if so please provide links.

Were any of the suggestions given pertaining to malware removal? It might be important to know how you got from step A to step B. :)

Cheers.

PCNovice
2007-11-24, 01:06
The topics were about malware removal. I can't find my other printouts, but I did find one. The link is http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=239815 - machine would not allow ultimate boot cd to install. I tried Microsoft's malicious malware removal tool - machine allowed install, scanned, found something called a HostBlocker and cleaned it - but machine remained the same. Machine wouldn't allow install of Spybot or Lavasoft's Ad-Aware. It did allow install of HJT, which I copied to cd from clean PC, but I can't get the log off the infected PC - it won't allow any copying to E drive.

I appreciate the time you took to respond to my previous post.