PDA

View Full Version : Help! Can't access sites that require log-in.

Benette
2007-11-20, 19:49
Hi, I would appreciate any help you can give me. I work for a small business (3 employees) and we're having trouble accessing websites that require a log-in.

About 2 weeks ago we had some malware on my boss' computer, which we removed successfully with Spybot, and also an issue with Norton's which was resolved.

Starting last Monday 11/12 we've had trouble connecting to the internet. Our connection was extremely slow, and our ISP (Verizon) was unable to help us. That's pretty much gone away now, but in it's place we cannot log-in to almost any site that requires a log-in, such as gmail, myspace, etc. One girl was able to get into yahoo.com but then could not get into her inbox. I am also able to log in here (obviously) and to another message board.

I spent several hours on the phone with Verizon to no avail. As a matter of fact, when they attempted to connect to us to try remote assist, both of our computers claimed to be connected, but they couldn't actually see me. Here are the problems so far:

I.E. on the main pc automatically opens as Firefox. I can't seem to change the default. I can still open I.E. on the other 2.
When we attempt to log-in to say, gmail, in Firefox the browser page just goes white & says "Done" in the status bar, and in I.E. it says "cannot load page".
We're also experiencing slow downloads and web-page loading of anything other than a portal like google.

This is what I've tried:

Re-installing I.E. and Firefox
Disabling Norton's
Clearing all of the internet files, cookies, caches, SSL certificate settings, etc.
Power-cycling the modem & router
Resetting the router password w/Verizon

I was going to try resetting the system to a point before this all went bad, but I am afraid to effect the software we use in our business.

Obviously I am no tech wiz, and unfortunately we have no "IT department". =(
I would greatly appreciate any ideas. :red: