PDA

View Full Version : symlcsvc.exe Problem. Error in Symantec Core LC Service (Norton)

ryani210693
2007-11-23, 18:06
After having Norton Antivrus 2007 'randomly' stop working and not activating anymore while still in a license period and having multiple chats with symantec support and searching and searching and lots of research, it turns out that Symantec Core LC will not start, which is what Norton needs to work basically. The error message below appears when attempting to start the service-

Could not start the Symantec Core LC on local computer

Error 123: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect

The Symantec Core LC service is sourcing from the following area- \SystemRoot\"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe"

After scanning the file with AVG, there are no spyware or anything else malicious in the file and nothing wrong with it.

Not to sound big headed, but i do know my stuff on computers, such as regedit (which was another road i went down to try and cure this) etc. but i have came to a dead end.

Much appreciated, Ryan.

asanguy
2007-11-30, 01:14
Hi
Im not an expert here, but I had the same problem with Norton just the other day. To remedy it they had me change the pc date back to the day Norton was originally activated. Then under the subscription section had me select reactivate again. It worked straight away but they also had me reactivate it using the "another subscription" option but using my same original key.
Then all that was left to do was change the date back to normal.

Touch wood its still okay. They couldnt really offer a reason why other than sometimes if you allow a pc to hibernate it messes norton up.

Hope this is useful. Good luck.

Alison

Lizzie Ack
2009-01-07, 05:49
Symantec core lc seems to be running on my System Config list. I no longer have Norton I'm using Microsoft One Care, should I just disable Symantec Core lc? It makes sense to do this but I wouldn't mind a little voice of experience.Thanks

drragostea
2009-01-07, 07:08
Lizze Ack, you can always disable the Norton Core LC entry because Norton is no longer installed, thus this service is not needed.