PDA

View Full Version : Spybot won't open

Clueless
2007-11-28, 20:16
I have never posted before, so forgive me if this is the wrong avenue. As my name indicates, I am totally lost with all things computer-related as well as the new Spybot S & D. I have used Spybot without a single problem (not even all the Tea timer problems I read about in the threads, posts, FAQs) since I got this computer in 1998 - yes, I am still running Windows 98 (SE). Yesterday and today, I upgraded to 1.5 (I do not know Beta or whatever) and kept clicking all of the windows that popped up telling me to do something. A mirror or something came up this morning with more install boxes. Now, when I try to open Spybot to check for updates or at all, the grinding sound in my CPU is different and nothing happens except many minutes later a box will pop up:

Exception EAccess violation in module SPYBOTSD.EXE @ 002B5C73 Access violation @ address 006B5C73 in module Read of address FFFFFFFF

I went to the forum/support and removed one of the Spybots in the ADD/Remove program. No luck. I have no idea how to get to a registry entry or anything other than turn on and off my computer. Is there any way to fix this or get my version 1.4 back? Thank you!

noel-pr7
2007-12-03, 20:13
First off, you can check the version of Spybot you have installed on your Win98se machine by launching Spybot and clicking on the Info & License button on the left side of the Spybot window.

If you want to revert back to Spybot 1.4, you have to uninstall version 1.5 first, reboot and then install version 1.4. You can get version 1.4 from the Oldversion.com site:
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=spybot

Clueless
2007-12-10, 20:26
Wow! Thank you for your reply, Noel! I have been continuing to try to figure it out.

Alas, I still cannot open or launch - by rt clicking shortcut or by start/program files menu - Spybot to even look at the version. It grinds when I try - perhaps this A-drive I read about. Several minutes later, I will get a dialog box telling me it has performed an illegal operation or the msg mentioned in my orig post. I was able to get it to open one time in Safe Mode to install updates. By the way, Spyware Blaster and Mozilla's Firefox are not working correctly now either. I know Spybot is working in some capacity though, as when I am in IE, its new window (partially covered allow/deny buttons fixed) asks me to allow/deny; therefore, I am guessing it is the 1.5...Unfortunately, I cannot update on a regular basis or run a Bot check.

I did not realize when the screen appeared a couple of weeks ago offering me to update that the version was a beta - I did not know what it meant, either. I won't do that again. I will read the boxes and not be the happy clicker. Thanks so much for responding.

JavierBanvard
2008-11-26, 10:57
hi,
Wow! Thank you for your reply, Noel! I have been continuing to try to figure it out.

Alas, I still cannot open or launch - by rt clicking shortcut or by start/program files menu - Spybot to even look at the version. It grinds when I try - perhaps this A-drive I read about. Several minutes later, I will get a dialog box telling me it has performed an illegal operation or the msg mentioned in my orig post. I was able to get it to open one time in Safe Mode to install updates. By the way, Spyware Blaster and Mozilla's Firefox are not working correctly now either. I know Spybot is working in some capacity though, as when I am in IE, its new window (partially covered allow/deny buttons fixed) asks me to allow/deny; therefore, I am guessing it is the 1.5...Unfortunately, I cannot update on a regular basis or run a Bot check.:spider:

drragostea
2008-11-27, 00:54
Banvard, is your machine showing any malware symptoms? Can you rename the desktop Spybot icon to something else? Like to "Spybot-SD"? Once you access Spybot-Search&Destroy, you can update and disable TeaTimer [if you wish] (that gives you the prompts [Allow/Deny]).