PDA

View Full Version : Uipopuphidden: Malware?

stevezygote
2007-12-01, 00:00
I have no idea where this is coming from. My ISP's spyware and virusware software (which they provide as part of their package) does not report anything. It does a weekly scan of the entire system. I do not load Spybot S&D because there is a conflict between the two. I run it intermittently because I think it's a great program and seemingly nothing gets passed it.

However, in the last few weeks UIPOPUPHIDDEN appears on my shutdown screen and requires that I end the program because it refuses to end gracefully.

I have done a throughout search on the net and come up with some suspicious looking things that suggest I've acquired some spyware if not a virus. Could someone help me? Is this INDEED something I should be concerned about? Thanks.

pskelley
2007-12-05, 11:09
Welcome to Safer Networking, I wish to be sure you have viewed and understand this information.
"BEFORE you POST" (READ this Procedure before Requesting Assistance)
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288
All advice given is taken at your own risk.
Please make sure you have read this information so we are on the same page.

http://www.castlecops.com/pstp372446-.html

I finally got a reply from Freedom about Uipopuphidden and the problem is with Freedom.

Hope that helps

Thanks

stevezygote
2007-12-05, 13:04
I had done a THOROUGH search in the forums and did not come up with this thread. I'll try what is mentioned here. Have copied and saved it in fact. Telus tells me it is NOT their software. Isn't that interesting! At any rate, thank you again. Will give the "solution" a try...

pskelley
2007-12-05, 13:17
I am not familiar with Freedom or Telus, are they the same thing. You can always take their junk off your computer to see if it stops. I would also be glad to look for other reasons, just read and follow the directions.

Funny how they want to take your $$ and never want to be responsible for anything.

Thanks...Phil:santa:

stevezygote
2007-12-05, 14:11
My ISP is Telus. A Canadian communications company. Telus has a "free" eProtect, which I suspect now UIPOPUPHIDDEN is coming from (as per that long post). eProtect is virus software and all (firewall, popup blocker, spyware, malware). I run that but also run S&P as a stand alone. I can't run the two or have them installed as TSRs at the same time. One conflicts the other. So far, Telus' response time has been quite good. I've since replied to them quoting what you pointed out to me. If you want me to I'll share their response. Thanks again!

pskelley
2007-12-05, 14:20
Sure, share the information, everyone else can look also

Thanks...Phil