PDA

View Full Version : Very Slow PC due to Malware

ReVaN
2007-12-01, 14:20
Hi,

recently I noticed extreme CPU loss and my CPU graph in the task manager was going from 0 - 20% usage constantly at idle Computer.

My first reaction was to format. I formated Partition C of Windows XP twice, one of which I didn't even attach my network cable to avoid Viruses. Both cases resulted with the same CPU usage problem. First thought was that I had the malware on my Second Partition (E: ).

What I did to confirm that it was a malware problem was that I booted from Ubuntu Live CD and my PC performed brilliantly without any losses or malfunctions. That means that I had no hardware failure but it was malware on WinXP.

Noticing various abnormalities such as windows shutdown automatically and no folder options in "my computer -> Tools -> Folder Options" I scanned for viruses both on my Computer and on the other networked Computer to find out a much listed common Virus "I-Worm/VB.GC". I can not remove it and I think this may be the subject to many of my problems.

Since this is my first time on this forum, should I post any logs? and what should I install? I already have Spybot S&D. I hope I have described my problem well, in case you need other information just ask. I hope you can help.

Thanks in advance

Simon V.
2007-12-04, 20:38
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

My name is Simon V., and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.

Step 1

Download HJTInstall.exe (http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/threat_analytics/HJTInstall.exe) to your desktop.

Doubleclick HJTInstall.exe to install HijackThis.
By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
Click on Install.
It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in Notepad. Save it to a convenient location.

Don't use the AnalyseThis button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.
Don't have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Don't close HijackThis yet;

Step 2

Click on the Config button.
Click on the Misc Tools button.
Click on the Open Uninstall Manager button.
Click on the Save list... button and save the file to a convenient location. When you press Save, Notepad will open with the contents of that file.
Close HijackThis.

Step 3

Please do an online scan with Kaspersky WebScanner (http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner).

Click on Kaspersky Online Scanner. On the welcome screen, click Accept.

You will be promted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, click Install.

The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files.
Once the files have been downloaded click on Next.
Now click on Scan Settings.
In the scan settings make sure that the following are selected:

Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:

Extended (if available, otherwise Standard)

Scan Options:

Scan Archives
Scan Mail Bases

Click OK.
Now under Select a Target to Scan:

Select My Computer.

The program will start and scan your system.
The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.
Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
Now click on the Save as Text button and save the file to your desktop.

Step 4

In your next reply, please post:

the HijackThis log
the Uninstall List
the Kapsersky Online Scan report

ReVaN
2007-12-06, 17:35
Thanks For the reply.

By now I managed to solve the problem. Thanks anyways.

Thread can be closed