PDA

View Full Version : Vers 1.5 - confusion resident and teatimer

appyface
2007-12-01, 18:58
Not a new user to SS&D per se, but haven't used it since early 1.4. Just installed version 1.5 and want to use the resident IE bad blocker but having confusion on several points, FAQ and Help don't seem to address. (I did try searching this forum but didn't find info, please point me to threads if I missed, thank you.)

I have confusion on several points.

1. If I don't enable TeaTimer, I don't have a systray icon for asking about blocking silently, ask for comfirmation, etc. How do I alter those settings without TeaTimer active? I have 'advanced' interface turned on in main program and have looked through all the screens, but so far have not found it. ????

2. After Resident does prompt in IE about a bad item on the page, and I make my choices to allow, deny, always block, etc., where can I review those items and the choices that were made? With TeaTimer active so I have a systray icon, they are not listed in the 'settings' (and I do have 'use whitelist' selected). I haven't been able to locate these in the main program interface either. ???

3. I did stumble across a 'clean up logs' section in the main program interface, and logs that looked like they may belong to the Resident function were listed there. However there was no VIEW options there, how to I view those logs? Also I nagivated away from that screen and now I can't find it again. Where is the 'clean up logs' screen located in the main program?

I guess I just don't know how to find the location of the items in order to manage this piece of SS&D, with or without TeaTimer active? I apologize if I'm just being clueless but I really have tried to find screens for these things...

4. In IE, the Resident 'bad block' appears to prompt for the same item -- sometimes. I have made certain to select 'always remember this action' as well as check 'ignore parameters', when I choose DENY for these items.

However, when the repeat prompt appears, the 'ignore parameters' box is selected and greyed out, and the 'choose action' box is also greyed out and showed "ask me everytime" is the choice. Because the only thing I can do is hit the DENY button, the prompt appears everytime I encounter the item again.

This seems like a bug, as I am fairly certain I chose 'remember always' when I picked DENY originally. In any event I don't see any reason for these items to be greyed out?

Any info on how to manage all these settings effectively and review what settings have been chosen, would be most appreciated, and especially how to keep the IE Resident but not use TeaTimer and be able to see these settings.

Thanks and regards,
--appyface

Zenobia
2007-12-01, 21:35
In Internet Explorer,go to Tools,then Spybot-Search_Destroy configuration,on the Settings tab,you should see When encountering bad things.Underneath that heading,you can choose Block all bad pages silently,etc,etc,using the pulldown menu(click the arrow).

The View Report section of Spybot is where the Clean up old reports button is located.Mode->Advanced mode->Tools->View report.

To view the sdhelper log,try going to mode,advanced mode,Tools,View Report,over to the right click View previous report,look through the logs for SDHelper.log,and doubleclick it if it is there,and it should show you the log right there within Spybot,so no View should be needed.

md usa spybot fan
2007-12-01, 22:18
Appyface:

1. If I don't enable TeaTimer, I don't have a systray icon for asking about blocking silently, ask for comfirmation, etc. How do I alter those settings without TeaTimer active? I have 'advanced' interface turned on in main program and have looked through all the screens, but so far have not found it. ????
Go into Internet Explorer > Tools > select "Spybot – Search Destroy Configuration". Then in the "Spybot-S&D - Configuration" window in the "Settings" tab under "When encountering bad things" you can select among:
Block all pages silently
Display dialog when blocking
Ask for blocking confirmation

2. After Resident does prompt in IE about a bad item on the page, and I make my choices to allow, deny, always block, etc., where can I review those items and the choices that were made? With TeaTimer active so I have a systray icon, they are not listed in the 'settings' (and I do have 'use whitelist' selected). I haven't been able to locate these in the main program interface either. ???
Go into Internet Explorer > Tools > select "Spybot – Search Destroy Configuration". Then in the "Spybot-S&D - Configuration" window, click the "Allowed & Denied" tab to review stored actions.

Unfortunately due to a programming oversight the original release of Spybot 1.5 did not contain a method to edit those entries. The problem has been recognized and has been corrected. See the following tracking ticket on that problem:
[SDHelper] Remove entries from black-/whitelist
http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=72
You can download and install the fix in that reference or you can manually edit either or both of these files with a program such a Notepad:
IEBlack.sbe
IEWhite.sbe
Those files are located in one of the following directories:
Windows 95/98
C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes
Windows ME
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes
Windows NT/2000/XP
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes
Windows Vista:
C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes

3. I did stumble across a 'clean up logs' section in the main program interface, and logs that looked like they may belong to the Resident function were listed there. However there was no VIEW options there, how to I view those logs? Also I nagivated away from that screen and now I can't find it again. Where is the 'clean up logs' screen located in the main program?

I guess I just don't know how to find the location of the items in order to manage this piece of SS&D, with or without TeaTimer active? I apologize if I'm just being clueless but I really have tried to find screens for these things...
The actions taken by "SDHelper" are stored in the SDHelper.log file.

To review the file from within Spybot:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > View Reports > View Previous reports.
Select the SDHelper.log file and open it.
Also, the SDHelper.log is located in one of the following directories and can be accessed by opening it with Notepad:
Windows 95 or 98:
C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows ME:
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows Vista:
C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
"Clean up old reports" is an option when you go into:
Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > View Reports.

appyface
2007-12-02, 01:52
Thank you very much for all the detailed help. I never thought to look in IE tools <blush>... very clueless of me!

Thanks for info on how to find the log files again and how to view.

I loaded the beta DLL and now I can remove an entry via the IE tools, and change the settings, so I have been able to turn TeaTimer off. Put this in help, please :-)

Best regards,
--appyface