PDA

View Full Version : /allhives switch doesn't detect inactive Win

Simon_owl
2007-12-10, 18:41
I have two instances of WinXP installed on the same PC, on two different disks in their primary partitions.
The disks are on different controllers, one a NVIDIA RAID controller and the other a standard IDE controller.
I switch the OS using the BIOS.
In Windows, the disk containing the other OS is E:\
If I start SpyBot with the \allhives switch, the inactive installation isn't seen - only C:\Windows is shown.

PepiMK
2007-12-10, 19:29
It's /allhives, not \allhives ;)
Does the welcome screen of Spybot show anything at all? Usually, when run with /allhives, below the three buttons there'll appear a list of loaded system & user profiles. Or is that what you already did describe as "only C:\Windows is shown"?

And you could also try RegAlyzer, if that works with /allhives.

I've just today created a bootable CD with Spybot-S&D on it and have noticed that /allhives works quite fine there ;)

Simon_owl
2007-12-11, 20:39
Yes, not only C:\Windows is displayed, but also a list of users under C:\Documents and Settings.

Launching RegAnalyzer with the /allhives switch the program starts with the window included (gif file)

Is it necessary to use a bootable CD to see the inactive installation?

PepiMK
2007-12-12, 17:54
No, it should not matter whether you're running from a BartPE CD, or a WinPE CD (see beta forum btw), or specify /allhives . That info about the loaded things are displayed means that it's in the proper mode.
If RegAlyer recognizes them, Spybot-S&D should as well (not the bare version 1.4 though, you need either the PE-tuned 1.4 which imho isn't available anywhwere except on the German Heise websites, or version 1.5).
Does your Windows folder on E: have a different name than "Windows" or "WinNT" maybe?

Simon_owl
2007-12-15, 00:28
The version of Spybot is 1.5.1.15.
The folder is named "WINDOWS"; the installation is standard except for the lacking of the pagefile.

JMThomas
2008-01-07, 20:46
I have three hard drives, three systems, XP, XP and 2K. All boot fine using Windows Boot Manager (the micro$oft thing).

My windows root folder is named WINDOWS on the XP systems and WINNT on the 2K system.

Running SpyBot /allhives on either XP system finds both XP systems, but doesn't find the 2K system in the WINNT folder. SpyBot on the 2K system finds all 3 OS.

This suggests that SpyBot allhives might just be searching for a \Windows folder, as opposed to looking for something like \*\SYSTEM32, to use as a starting point for verifying the existence of another Windows system.

Have I discovered a possible change?

JMThomas
2008-02-04, 22:57
I have three hard drives, three systems, XP, XP and 2K. All boot fine using Windows Boot Manager (the micro$oft thing).

My windows root folder is named WINDOWS on the XP systems and WINNT on the 2K system.

Running SpyBot /allhives on either XP system finds both XP systems, but doesn't find the 2K system in the WINNT folder. SpyBot on the 2K system finds all 3 OS.

This suggests that SpyBot allhives might just be searching for a \Windows folder, as opposed to looking for something like \*\SYSTEM32, to use as a starting point for verifying the existence of another Windows system.

Have I discovered a possible change?

Or should I start a new thread for the answer to my questions?

Thanks!

JMThomas
2008-02-12, 16:47
:oops:

I'm sorry for any offense from the tone of my query.

Yet, would someone kindly address this question?